Attacked Hen Last Night Needs Help

azulita

Chirping
15 Years
Jun 9, 2007
My 1-1/2 year old Amercauna hen, Mattie, was attacked last night. all of her tail feathers are gone and it looks like the attacker took a large bite out of her bottom. Now she's oozing feces. Is it possible that her lower digestive track was punctured?

I'm trying decide what to do.

Ugh - how horrible. Do you know what attacked her? Did you discover her injuries this morning?

Can you possibly post pics? This will be extremely helpful. This way people can better judge extent of injury. If the pred punctured her intestines - and I hope not - it's important that anyone advising you know of this and the pics may help illustrate. Do this quickly so as not to stress her anymore than she already is.

She should be in a quiet, stress free comfortable small area indoors, with food and water available nearby. Soft bedding. Comfy temps.

Is she actively bleeding? If not, you may be able to give her some pain relief by crushing 5 regular (325 mg) aspirin (NO SUBSTITUES) in one gallon of water.

Do you have or can someone pick up for you "Rescue Remedy"? Bach Flower Remedy available at most health food stores and many pharmacies. A drop in her water will have a calming effect. Shock is a big risk to her.

I'm so sorry this happened - poor Mattie.

Will check back.
JJ

Hi: I don't know where you live, but I know a friend has lost all but a few of her chickens to fox predation. We live in a semi-rural area, with the occasional fox and lots of skunks, dogs (some wild, some not) running around, sometimes coyotes. My friend found a hen who'd been badly "dogged" in an irrigation ditch. The white hen, whom we named Blanca, had her back feathers ripped to the flesh and was in very bad shape. The friend treated her with antibiotics and, after about four months, Blanca grew back all her feathers and was the queen of the yard. Unfortunately, this past spring Blanca began to stay outside at night (it's New Mexico and we get very warm here) and was probably killed--along with most of her hen pals--by a fox. The fox will bit the backside of a chicken to weaken it. One of my friend's other chickens had its tail feathers pulled out, but survived.
Because of our situation and all the predators--domestic and otherwise--we've built a secure roost with a floor and fence and plan on putting the chickens to bed in their Chicken Chateau every night. Should be easy, as I'll just put their feed in the coop and then close them in. It was an expensive project but, after what my friend has gone through, it is worth it to us.
Hope your chicken recovers.

If she is oozing feces and its not from her vent, then you can be assured her intestines are punctured. If this is the case, it would be best to put her out of her misery now. She will get peritonitis and die and she won't feel good during the process.

Thanks for all the good advice. Here's my update. I've got her in a large pet kennel with soft bedding, food, and water. I've been swabbing her wounds and have put something from the feed store in her water. She is still oozing a yellowish goo. I cannot tell if this is from her rectum or if something was punctured.

She is in pretty good spirits and eating and drinking.

I think I'll call the feed store to see about a vet tomorrow. Maybe they can stitch her up...if not, yes we should put her out of her misery.

I've found feathers all around the coop, so she put up a good fight. We do have coyotes, but with all the feathers plucked, maybe it was a raccoon.

I'm so worried that I've let the rest of the group sleep in the garage the last two nights...good for them...not great for hubbies car.

Kathy in Austin

I don't think so...it seems a bit like urine and feces...a constant drip and it's been going for two days now.

Why do these things seem to happen on the weekends?

I'm really just trying to keep her comfortable. I'm not thinking that she is going to recover...but I could be wrong.

This group is so helpful.

Thanks to all.: (

More updates on Mattie. I'm obviously a city girl, because I find a bird clinic and take her in. I'm sitting in the waiting room with all of these expensive, exotic birds and there is me with my poor chicken dripping awful yellow stuff from her completely plucked behind.

The vet was very nice and had dealt with chickens before. Unfortunately, he wanted to charge over 500 dollars to put her to sleep...clean her up...and reconstruct her vent which was torn. I was actually thinking if I could swing it when he told me that the clunker was that she'd probably become egg born and need another surgery.

So, I said give me something I can do at home or put her out of her misery. Now, I'm administering two shots of anti-biotics a day and washing her wounds.

She's doing great and laying her egg a day from the cage. I let her sister in at night and she perches on top of the cage.

I've heard of crazy cat ladies and now I'm afraid that I'm a crazy chicken lady.

I'm glad Mattie is doing well; it sounds like you definitely made the right decision! I hope she continues to improve and has a long, happy, healthy life.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom