Dog attack. Anything I can do for this hen?

I Like Turkeys

Crowing
Mar 7, 2022
Florida
Yesterday while I was not home, two of my hens were attacked by dogs, and both suffered bite wounds to the neck. One passed away last night from her injuries after I found her, but the other is still alive.

the remaining hen is walking, eating, drinking, scratching around, and even laid an egg today. She seems fine, but a bit slower than usual, and one shoulder/wing hangs a bit lower.

what concerns me the most is the puncture wounds. She has a massive one on her neck. The flesh below is revealed, and I am worried it will become infected, or simply won’t heal. I have wound spray I can spray onto her wounds, but is there anything else I can or should do to help her?

I’ve attached photos of her injuries.

Attachments

• 09624467-D09C-40FA-B8CE-BC7A5A36B98E.jpeg
    09624467-D09C-40FA-B8CE-BC7A5A36B98E.jpeg
    280.3 KB · Views: 77
  • A0B1C261-66AD-40D3-A02C-310443898D6C.jpeg
    A0B1C261-66AD-40D3-A02C-310443898D6C.jpeg
    226.8 KB · Views: 34
Work on getting her through shock.
You can give a bit of sugar water or electrolytes to boost her. Even when they are moving about some like she is, they can still be experiencing some stress or shock.

Clean the wounds really well. If you have it, Hibiclens (Chlorhexidine) would be good to use. Trim feathers away from the wounds so you can see them better and the wounds stay a little cleaner. Apply triple antibiotic ointment to the wounds.

You may want to keep her somewhere dry and away from flies until she heals up. Flies can lay eggs on wounds and you don't want to deal with FlyStrike.

Yesterday while I was not home, two of my hens were attacked by dogs, and both suffered bite wounds to the neck. One passed away last night from her injuries after I found her, but the other is still alive.

the remaining hen is walking, eating, drinking, scratching around, and even laid an egg today. She seems fine, but a bit slower than usual, and one shoulder/wing hangs a bit lower.

what concerns me the most is the puncture wounds. She has a massive one on her neck. The flesh below is revealed, and I am worried it will become infected, or simply won’t heal. I have wound spray I can spray onto her wounds, but is there anything else I can or should do to help her?

I’ve attached photos of her injuries.
iodine on the wound and non pain realeving ointment is what we used on our hen when a cat ripped a chunck of her throught out shes fine now

Back
Top Bottom