Attacked!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by crtrlovr, Aug 24, 2010.

1. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

I went outside into the chicken pen like every other morning. First I let the ducks out, then I walked to the chickenhouse to let the chickens and guineas out. As usual, they all came boiling out the moment the door was open. I scattered some scratch grains and went to rinse out the various waterers. I quickly noticed that for some reason nearly all the chickens had gathered around me. I just assumed they were waiting for treats, and went on with what I was doing. I felt a sharp rap on the back of my leg, and turned in surprise to see my very mild-mannered buff Orpington roo getting ready for another peck. Pecks on the other leg. Pecks at my ankle. I looked down to see what was the problem and it hit me -- I was wearing pants with big pink cabbage roses and green leaves. (Don't you DARE [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] or [​IMG] -- They're actually very cute! not hideous at all... [​IMG] ) Note to self: make any necessary wardrobe adjustments before tending the poultry...

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Food is food unless it's attached to clothes!

3. TyrannosaurusChix

TyrannosaurusChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    LOLHAHA

I have big brass buttons on my jeans... i got some booty pecking action today ( cause i like to sit on a milk crate and watch them like a weird chicken person)

4. crtrlovr

I forgot about the button on my back pocket a couple of weeks ago, and was sitting in a web-strap lawn chair just enjoying watching my chickens, ducks, and guineas going about their lives when I got pecked on the backside. One of my Australorps was after the button. [​IMG] (or maybe she was trying to deflate that big balloon.... [​IMG]

5. tls_ranch

tls_ranch Stares at Chickens

[​IMG] This spring I wore my husband's camo print jacket out to feed the chickens. I caused a mass panic! It's true they get used to your regular clothing and shoes. Wear something different and watch out you become either food or a predator in their eyes.

6. crtrlovr

wonder if they thought the forest had come alive... HELP! The trees are MOVING! Maybe they thought Bigfoot was trying a stealth approach...
    ETA: I went back out to the chicken house one day after I'd gotten ready for church. I had on a dress, hose, and sandals because I was sporting a nice, fresh (and very infrequent!) pedicure. Barely made it out alive.... [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  7. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Another tip, never wear sandals and have painted toe nails! They LOVE them [​IMG]
    Don't ask me how I know this [​IMG]

8. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    LOL poor dear attacked by your babies...how horrible for you!

I tossed a pair of sneakers once because they had a hunk of grapes on the toe area....the girls would jump on top of my feet and start pecking at the grapes on the shoes. [​IMG]

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I wish I had a dollar for every time a chicken has pecked at the mole on the back of my leg. I actually wish they'd grab hold and just pull it off!

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG] Just be glad you didn't get knocked out while in with the chooks. You would have been supper in no time.
    I have to be careful of what I wear around my chickens. My pink flip flops tick my rooster off and none of them like my tie dye shirts. They run screaming away from me.
    My chicks are the peckers. One of my turken pullets bit my DH last night. At roost time she's used to me giving her a cricket. DH put them up for me last night and forget to give Ivy a cricket, so she settled for his finger instead.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by