ATTACKED!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rare Feathers Farm, Sep 28, 2008.

1. The Chickinn

The Chickinn Songster

Sep 28, 2008
    near SF, CA
    I once had a White Leghorn roo, that would attack me and my family. We would kick him away when he attacked us, but that didn't do any good.Our hungry wild fox, or whatever, thought he would be a tasty treat, and got rid of him FOR US!![​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
  2. banter

banter Songster

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    I never have had to be physical with a rooster if I have an object that is strange to the roo. Could be a bucket, broom,
    doll-they don't care! They just are smart enough to check it out before they attack. Then I say a loud no!
    Or cut it out! I also try not to get between a hen and a rooster if it is breeding season.

3. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

if you RUN toward ant roo, it will run away,, chase it till you catch it, then grab his legs and walk to the coop with him like that, throw him in, and keep there for 1/2 hour,,, and do that EVERY time he even LOOKS aggressive,, then there shouldnt be any problems,,, if there is,, eat him.

4. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I have tried the upside down technique but it didn't work on my "mean" roo. I will not have a mean roo on the place so I culled it.

5. Melilem

Melilem Songster

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    I had a roo who I raised from a chick and loved very much, the best mutt rooster ever if I should say so myself. One day I went out in a red skirt and he just lost his mind, he kept throwing himself at me with those spurs. It's like he couldn't even see I was attached to the skirt... Boy, he hated red. He had a brother who kept attacking my children without provocation... worst tasting bird I ever ate /:

6. the1much

Quote:the only problem with that, is that it teach's them not to do it when you have something in your hands,, what if something happens and you dont have time to grab something? or what if a kid runs in?,,, they need to respect the bigger roo's ( people) there ANIMALS, and understand animal behaviors,,which is the bigger dude picks on the smaller.

7. the1much

Quote:[​IMG]

8. Nupine

Nupine Songster

Nov 21, 2007
    Ohio
    I have a very mean roo. I have him in an 8 x 4 foot pen and I did have two girls in there with him but I just removed them because he was mean to them. Every time I open the door he runs after me and jumps at me. I have to keep him back with a rake, but that hardly works. The sad part is that is a growing large spurs and he is huge!!!!!!!!!! His name is Elvis and he must stand about 2.5 feet tall and weigh 9-10 pounds. He is a turken. I really need to cull him, but I need to find someone to do it. I might have my brother and law do the chore tomorrrow. I don't really mind mean bantams but it is scary when the are large. But it is never a good feeling when you are actually being attacked by anything. He needs to go.
    Ashlyn

9. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Songster

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    I am culling a roo tomorrow morning due to his repeated bad behavior. I've tried everything with him, chased him, held him upside down, pinned him down, yelled at him. Nothing works. I have now started calling him "Psycho Roo" because I can pick him up and hold him on my lap, cuddle him, then when I feed them he attacks. He and another one also have attacked other people and now he's starting to fight with another roo that I have.

The other's days are numbered also.

The way I see it he had a better life than a store-bought chicken, even got to sire a few babies.

Banter, at my house breeding season is every day from the time the hens are let out til the hens get put up for the night. [​IMG]

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude

I have a theory that any rooster who thinks that moi, bringer of treats, food and water, is a threat to his girls isnt the brightest bulb in the pkg. My smart ones are the ones who know where their bread is buttered, so to speak. And I did do the appropriate things with my aggressive rooster. Didn't work with that one. Guess he was a little on the slow side, mentally.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: