Attacking rooster

Minky

Crowing
6 Years
Nov 4, 2017
Ontario
I have 3 little girls 7,7 and 4. My twins have adhd and are loud...louder and a little more hyper than the average kid. So i always ask them to please use library voices and be calm in the barn.... they try.
My new rooster (hes been here 2 months) is a big boy- he's a cream legbar named Brooster. I got him from a lady who only owned 7 chickens- 6 hens and Brooster.
He has "attcked" all of my kids, my eldest 4 times. He will jump on their legs and flap his wings and ruffle himslef up so his neck feathers all stand up. He also took a run at my (6'2) husband one day. He hasnt taken a turn at me- but once when I was lifting one of my hens up a little off the nest to collect eggs, he came running but stopped just short of me.
Ive been teaching my kids to stomp their feet if he comes at them and make a loud noise (not a scream) but this doesn't seem to be working.
Is it time to move him along? Are all roosters like this? We live surrounded by woods, with no neighbours so a rooster is important to me and my flock. He is very VERY good at standing guard- and his presence makes them feel confident to wander our many acres in and around the barn, house, orchard and pasture-- so I do value him. I'm thinking he may have to go in the fall .. or sooner-- if my kids are scared. We are out side a lot, and i don't want their summer ruined.
Please help with any suggestions.

Thanks

Last edited:
I would eat him.

The risk of your kids loosing an eye is high... don't risk it.

Often you can get roosters for free.

I am VERY strict in regards to rooster personality, and since they literally are often a dime a dozen it is easy to be picky.

I now have several VERY KIND and sweet roosters that are safe even with tiny kids. The roosters still do a great job of being a rooster.

I would get rid of him also, I put up with a jerk rooster for two years I tried everything and failed. I won’t put up with it anymore I have a very nice cream Legbar rooster he is one of five Legbar roosters I culled the other 4 as they were not nice. Your rooster could very well hurt your children I wouldn’t take the chance as stated roosters are easy to come by.

I don't think there is any way to get him to respect your kids given their age. Time for him to meet a crockpot.

I have had many roosters that ignored my kids. Personally I never rely on a rooster for protection though. They may help at times with hawks, but that's about it. My hens can watch for hawks just as well. There is a lot they can't stand against. My old dog (my avatar) was a much better deterrent and he was just a family watch dog type.

I had a rooster like that. Could not let my son,who was 6 at the time, go in by himself. Size 10 up that roosters rear-end several times and he finally stopped. I love my chickens and my rooster is still my pride and joy but hey my child is my child and I didn't want to lose my rooster. Anybody else would have friend him up. Let me tell you that would have been a big pan!!!

I would eat him.

The risk of your kids loosing an eye is high... don't risk it.

Often you can get roosters for free.

I am VERY strict in regards to rooster personality, and since they literally are often a dime a dozen it is easy to be picky.

I now have several VERY KIND and sweet roosters that are safe even with tiny kids. The roosters still do a great job of being a rooster.
Yep... break out the slow cooker.

I would NEVER rehome a rooster that attacks children. Ever. I would not want to take the chance of being responsible for someone else's kid to get hurt.
I just meant that if Minky didn't want to kill him. Some people have very soft hearts and don't want to do that. There's lots of chicken owners without children, some could use a breeding rooster. I never meant to give it to another home with children. No need to call me out haha

Back
Top Bottom