Attacking Rooster

Status
Not open for further replies.
My old roo used to attack me to the point where he would break is beak trying to attack my shoes as I defended myself, broke it three times. He hasn't gave me a single problem since I shot him...

There is not need on this earth for aggressive cockerals. I'm sure he'd make a lovely casserole
wink.png

You have kids. Imagine the damage he could do with his toenails and spurs to a child's face or eyes. Eat/cull/get rid of him. If you get more chicks, make pets of the hens and treat the cockerels like chickens. Genetics plays a large part in human aggressive roosters, but overly socialized roosters have an even greater tendency to become human aggressive because all boundaries have been removed. When we put roosters on the same level as us they will try to dominate. It's their nature and how they control and protect their flocks. Good luck with this situation.

I have several roosters and one EE goes after my DH any time he comes to the coop. I've coached him on what to do as I have found NOT acting like a bossy rooster seems to work best, but unfortunatly my DH likes to go rounds with him. (last time I think it ended in a draw) Now I can't pick up the broom without getting the flock upset
hmm.png
I think I'll have to get rid of the rooster to restore peace.

He sounds like a stubborn rooster!!! Sorry to say this but a friend of mine had the same problem-couldn't catch her rooster, after a couple weeks later the rooster would hide and jump out with full force to attack. Now I call that the mean roosters! I have heard some stories on mean roosters and maybe that is what it is going to take.....having him for supper.
sad.png

Ah my Charlie is also being a real doody head. I have a thread about that on here. And what I did when he sparred at me.
I like my little silkie bantam roo Skippy. I can pick him up and pet him and he's just oh so cuddly! He pecked my finger once but because of his adorably cute tinyness it didn't hurt a bit! Yee I love him. But ugh Charlie (barred rock) is just nasty towards me. He doesn't do it to my mom or dad, just me. Gah I would eat him or cull him if I could but my mother has grown attached to him. Bleh.

Quote:
Yes there is, for cooking and never having an empty freezer
big_smile.png

I agree with 7L Farm, Never show fear towards any animal. They feed off that and it drives their aggression.

Chicken.Lytle :

This sounds like typical rooster aggression. You need to establish yourself and family as higher in the pecking order . I haze my rooster every day. The most disrespectful thing he has done recently was to mount a hen while I was on the other side of the fence. (I came around the fence and chased him for that).

Someone just touched on this subject on another topic...why is it so bad for the rooster to mate in front of you? I really need to know b/c mine does that all the time.​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom