attacking rooster

You could brake a dog or a rooster of a habit, just like a person . It was just suggestion, but what's the difference between a dog or a rooster both can be violent and BOTH can be broke. A rooster is a animal. Just like the dog, but we kill one and not the other!! Dog abuse is illegal, but you can cull a rooster for the same reason. It is the way you act around him if he likes the reaction he will keep doing it. At the end I said "if he doesn't change kill, sell or give away" if you don't give him a chance you might miss out on a good sweet rooster. Pick one person to feed water and gather eggs. Wack,or flip him over, him every time he gets aggressive. Do not let your son in the pen.after the first few times of wacking doesn't work the sell or cull.

The problem with you analogy is that your dog example does not address the 9 year old child that was attacked/threatened by the rooster. You may not kill the dog but would you still keep it when it was threatening to attack and harm your child? I suspect no, that you would get rid of it.

I couldn't agree more. The fact that he has attacked a child just once is enough to get rid if him, if not to the soup pot then at least to someone who has no children around, and is willing to put up with his terrible behaviour towards them. There are no second chances when it comes to attacking a child.

Off with his head is a lot to do. Think of it like This when a dog barks at you like trying to attack do you kill the dog? No (hopefully ) wack him even time he even come near you aggressively. Don't. Run or act scared they will keep doing it knowing they have that effect on you. If you do kill him it would be a fail in a way. you raised the rooster for protection and chicks.

One could argue that 'whacking him' over and over again to teach him a lesson is also an unacceptable outcome. At some point you do have to draw a line in the sand. At the end of the day, aggression towards humans can be an inherited trait. It's not something that you would ever want to breed on in your chicks. Roosters are a dime a dozen, and if you want one for the protection of your flock, you can pick one up for little to no expense. One that not only protects his flock, but doesn't threaten you every time you walk outside your home!

This rooster already knows he has the upper hand. As @angeladare said originally, she ran into the house to escape him - and wisely so! I wouldn't hang around to be attacked either! However, in doing so, that rooster now knows that if he attacks, he will win. And whilst it's not impossible to change a rooster's behaviour, I doubt it is the norm.

I know that the culling of birds is not an ideal ending, but there are some behaviours that truly do warrant it. In my personal opinion, attacking a child is one of them. Ask yourself, would you risk a small child going outside alone with a rooster like that? How many chances do you want to give him to take out an eye or harm them otherwise with their spurs? Once it's done, it's done.

I do appreciate and respect that others may have differing opinions.

- Krista

Roosters are a dime a dozen, and if you want one for the protection of your flock, you can pick one up for little to no expense.
- Krista
Excuse my language but Hell...if you want really cheap roosters...place an order for 25 bucks worth of sexed females, your choice of breeds (or ducks or anything else that is alive) at Ideal Poultry and they will include a bunch of male chicks for warmth ... FOR FREE!!!!! You will have all the roosters you care to count.

I'll first start out with the admission that I don't have the chicken experience almost everyone else here does. I'm on my first batch of layers, and my first accidental rooster who is about 8 months old now.

Ours has made a few attempts at attacking my husband. He hasn't attacked me. I actually think he sees me differently than hubby because I'm there every day to feed, and hubby is only there on weekends. Maybe he even knows I'm a girl and hubby is another rooster.... I don't know. But I'll say I happened upon something that works with him... something you could arm your daughter and hubby with too. A powerful squirt gun. As powerful a one as you can find! Ours hates to be sprayed. One time I was standing there with the hose, watering, and he went after my hubby, and I just sprayed him. Surprised him out of his attack mode for sure! And worked better than actually fighting with him.

Spraying is a very good idea. Do whatever you can to get him to understand that for one you have no intention of hurting his girls or taking them away, or mating them. This is why most roosters attack. In his eyes, he is being good by protecting his place as the protector and the producer of babies. If it takes whacking him mid-air or spraying him, do it. Just do not seriously hurt him. People look at roosters like this, thinking they are evil and hurting you out of malice, when he is not. It is instincts. Just do not kill him for doing his job. I would deal with his attitude knowing you have a good protection rooster for the girls.

"a good protection rooster" that attacks people is NO GOOD. Eliminate the rooster - there is a child in the equation. It's not worth taking the chance of serious and permanent injury.

With respect to the OP's situation, the most vulnerable party in this is the 9 year old child. The child and the adults are old and large enough first to learn how to protect them selves from the cockerel. I got schooled in that at about five or six under parental supervsion. I quickly learned how to protect my face when flogged and to walk away slowly. Then care was taken to learn what promotes attacks how to prevent. In our case it was my going after biddies. When that was addressed floggings stopped but I was prepared. With the cockerel as indicated in the OP's situation, it is my opinion that the aggression has been promoted in part by interactions I do not have with my birds and likely a fair dose of hatchery selection. For me the aggression is easy to stop and until then not a major issue until then unless I am lying prone working on a lawn mower or the like.

A cock / fully mature rooster with more developed spurs will be different issue but that is not the case as of yet. If OP is not comfortable with her and her families ability to work with cockerel then get rid of him. If a replacement is sought, then care should be taken to explore how interactions lead into rooster launching attacks so such can be prevented rather than reacted to.

Back
Top Bottom