ATTENTION BREEDERS: Shipping Live Chicks to North Carolina for CHEAP!

Gresh

Songster
8 Years
Jul 9, 2011
North Carolina
Hi everyone!
I've been troubled in my recent breeder searches by the large minimum quantities breeders usually place on their stock, and the large price that often accompanies them. For example, Pathfinders Farm, though I'm sure they sell beautiful Buckeyes, will only ship 25 day-old chicks at minimum for a whopping $150 or so. However, I am only wanting at max ten chicks (preferably seven), and, due to a strict budget, I will NOT lay down $150 for chicks anytime soon.
Most breeders also sell large amounts of hatching eggs as well (15-25 as I usually see). Though I understand that they do this to ensure that you will not get a bunch of dead-in-shell chicks, I cannot afford an incubator to house so many eggs. A smaller incubator is barely doable for me, let alone a huge Sportsman incubator or pricey-yet-small Hovabator.
So, I am for right now leaning towards getting at most ten live chicks from a breeder. However, I understand this is not usually the case. Does anybody know of a breeder who ships ten day-old chicks to North Carolina for at most $100 and who breeds the following breeds:

1. Russian Orloff (preferably Spangled; will take BBR, White, or Mahogany, too)
2. Black Sumatra
3. Buckeye

Furthermore, unless the stock has been so improved upon after so many years that it fits the SOP, I do NOT wish to buy from someone who sells hatchery-line birds.
Please let me know of anyone who could help me. And if anyone will negotiate with prices or amounts for chicks, I'd like to know that too.

Thanks!
smile.png

So what you are saying is that you can not afford to buy what you want? I don't know what anyone can do about that.

Small numbers of chicks often do not survive shipping. That's why there are minimum orders.

I suggest that you purchase a subscription to The Poultry Press, watch for breeders within driving distance of where you live, and make arrangements to pick up chicks instead of having them shipped.

As far as I know, there is no hatchery anywhere in the USA that sells exhibition birds, except for Holdrerread and he's more of a show breeder who happens to maintain a web presence. I don't consider him to be a hatchery.

Or maybe you could find someone local to split an order of chicks with you.

Hello, I have been looking for a show quality breeder. Even though I am not showing (learning the breed standard, etc. right now) I want quality chickens. Do you happen to have Wyandottes or know of anyone to recommend? I'm in Anson County so within an hour to you. I'm just looking for pullets right now b/c I'm looking for eggs for the family. I purchased a cockrel & pullet pair from a breeder at the Raleigh State Fair and if he didn't live 4 hours way I would purchase from him again in a heart beat! I love the variety of colors in the breed and how docile they are. I'm looking for friendly breeds. Thanks in advance!

Back
Top Bottom