Attention Horse & Pony Owners!

Do you have a horse or pony or have access to one?

• Total voters
Pics
What breed?
Friesian cross
971E6CFF-1D0F-4A27-A79C-7C74BF70F20A.jpeg

And 16 year old pinto rescue
03917D4A-CA4F-4B44-B717-58291F615016.jpeg

***Edited to add, both my girls need a makeover 🥰

Last edited:
Oh thank goodness. My mare weaned her 6 month old colt and she looks so thin. Your guidance will help me so much. Vet said sometimes nursing mares get thin. She gets Panacur fall snd spring.
They do, and she's not so bad. My formula to sleek them up is a combination of soaked beet pulp and alfalfa cubes, and if you can get it, barley. A pound of barley a day seems to go right to fattening horses, they don't digest anything else as well. Steamed, rolled oats are second best.

I had a rescue come that was just a skeleton - a friend of mine was rough boarding and her mare got botulism and she called me up in tears. I told her to stop at the vet and the police for documentation and treatment before bringing her here. We had her fat in 5 months. I'm working on my older stallion now. My breeding partner sent him my way because he got a bad tooth and the weight melted off him. My current problem is getting him to not just run it all back off!!

They do, and she's not so bad. My formula to sleek them up is a combination of soaked beet pulp and alfalfa cubes, and if you can get it, barley. A pound of barley a day seems to go right to fattening horses, they don't digest anything else as well. Steamed, rolled oats are second best.

I had a rescue come that was just a skeleton - a friend of mine was rough boarding and her mare got botulism and she called me up in tears. I told her to stop at the vet and the police for documentation and treatment before bringing her here. We had her fat in 5 months. I'm working on my older stallion now. My breeding partner sent him my way because he got a bad tooth and the weight melted off him. My current problem is getting him to not just run it all back off!!
Thanks RiverOtter!

Oh no, I'm so sorry, Oldenburg Mom. Joey and Bonnie were such beautiful horses - I'm sure you miss them. 2020 has been a crap year for so many of us, for so many reasons. I lost both of my elderly dogs this past horrible 2020 summer, from different illnesses but only 4 days apart. I'm thankful to still have my aged horses.
My horses would definitely agree with your Joey, that braids (in fact, anything to do with taming their manes) are something truly horrific.

Back
Top Bottom