Attention Leavenworth chicken keepers

DustinT

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 8, 2012
Leavenworth, KS
I had a visit from code enforcement the other day. I was told that someone had complained about my rooster. I was also told that code enforcement already knew I had chickens but "they had let it slide" but now since the complaint I had to get rid of my chickens because I was breaking the city ordinance. She tried to tell me that I couldn't have my chickens within 75ft of my neighbors property. I promptly told her they would have to take me to court because I know the ord. and I am well within my rights to keep my chickens right where they are. I also informed her that she was wrong, and that the ord. says I have to be no less than 75ft from my neighbors home. I asked her if they were going to send someone out to measure the distance from my chickens to my nearest neighbors house. To which she said they don't do that they just look at their maps. That's strange my chickens are not on those maps. So I asked how they would be able to prove that I am to close in court. She told me they just look at it and can tell and that she thought I wasn't the min 75ft away. I told her nobodys eyes are calibrated, she did laugh at that and agreed. She ended up saying she would have to go re-read the ord and left. I measured and the closest point on my chickens run is 89ft from the closest neighbors home.

So here is the link to Chapter 18 Article III of the Leavenworth, Kansas, Code of Ordinances.
Sec 18-94 and Sec 18-95 are the areas that cover domestic fowl.

http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=11145&stateId=16&stateName=Kansas

If you live in Leavenworth, KS don't let anyone tell you, you can't have your birds. Bird lovers unite! If your in the Leavenworth, KS area feel or know anyone who is free to contact me.

75 feet from a house is not the same thing as 75 feet from someone's property. One neighbor's house is 20 feet from my property line, but 150 feet from my house.

Good luck.

Chris

75 feet from a house is not the same thing as 75 feet from someone's property. One neighbor's house is 20 feet from my property line, but 150 feet from my house.

Good luck.

Chris

That was my point. A few days ago the same code enforcement officer stopped by to tell me I was right and they could not make me get rid of my birds. God I love being right. lol

Do you gals know where I might find information on the chicken laws in Leavenworth County? I had an officer show up today because of a complaint... my chickens don't have a ROOF on their pen! Actually, one pen is in my barn, one outside pen does have a partial roof, the other outside pen doesn't have anything (all sides are solid). They even have enclosed dog houses and perches above the ground, but before I say anything I'd like to see if there is actually a law on this in the county? Seemed rather strange to me...

Funny thing is... across the street my neighbors chickens are in a totally open chain link dog kennel... No cover or wind break at all.

I'm really confused.

You can have them, so long as:

I would suggest that you ask which of the municipal codes you're currently violating, and seek to correct it. Going head-to-head with neighbors and law enforcement gives people a negative idea of urban or suburban chicken owners, and can lead to future legislation against owning chickens in residential and commercial areas.

Do you gals know where I might find information on the chicken laws in Leavenworth County? I had an officer show up today because of a complaint... my chickens don't have a ROOF on their pen! </snip>

He's referring to the ordinance that they can't run "at large" (meaning their pen needs to be fully enclosed). You can find the link to the code for Section 18-91 here.

You may be exempt from the code, however, if you clip their wings (being that they can't fly out through the top). However, putting a roof on your pen is a good idea to keep coons and feral cats away from your flock, so you should probably put one on anyway.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
Im glad to see I'm not alone on this because a news crew came to my house today to interview new about a change in local code regarding having chickens and complaints made to city council.
I've never received any complaints and the new code was news to me.
check it out on kwch channel 12 I live in park city KS a suburb of Wichita.

Hello All!
We're going to be arriving in Leavenworth in March and I just wanted to check and see if this ordinance was still good. We're looking forward to starting our adventure with chickens when we rent a house. We're specifically renting only if the landlord will let us keep some chickens! If not, we'll live on Fort Leavenworth in Post housing.

Thanks so much for the info

People are so lame, couldn't they have come over and asked you about it before calling the cops? Intolerance seems endemic anymore.

I was soooo happy to read this. I will be moving back to Leavenworth in the next few months, and I will have my chickens with me. I found a place with a HUGE back yard....perfect for the 75 ft ordinance! Thank You!!

Back
Top Bottom