Attention Muscovy lovers

Alright well I guess ill try to find a home for one :/ Thanks for the help
Ya know I understand how hard it is to find a home for extra drakes, that's why I ended up with 4 now, I know some look at them a supper but I have a hard time picturing mine on the table and I am a meat eater, but after seeing them hatch here it's just too hard. Maybe there is a way around it if you can find some more ducks to go with these guys,. you could always try it and then decide if it doesn't look like it's going to work out.

That's came across my mind if I need to I could just separate the males for a lil while away from the girls? So far the boys seem to be good natured except one is more "playful" haha... Maybe get 4 more girls 3 to 5 ratio oh I don't know I think it will be a challenge to find him a home and I cant picture eating them unless they are down right mean(but that don't mean ill eat him).

That's came across my mind if I need to I could just separate the males for a lil while away from the girls? So far the boys seem to be good natured except one is more "playful" haha... Maybe get 4 more girls 3 to 5 ratio oh I don't know I think it will be a challenge to find him a home and I cant picture eating them unless they are down right mean(but that don't mean ill eat him).
Theres been times when I have threatened, lol goose dinner or duck supper. But they always make me change my mind.
love.gif

I'm wondering, as lately been talking to show and meat breeders of scobies close to me (only one sadly maybe willing to part with some found extra eggs that were hidden), and they either free range or keep in barn or pen, and there's supposedly do fine as long as each drake has a hen to harass at a time, and they mostly only keep even numbers (except one meat breeder), of both. they just said that oddly if only had one drake, then two hens needed at least. so could try that at least. All i think had gees and mallard duck types too, so don't know if that'd make a big difference.

Last edited:
I'm wondering, as lately been talking to show and meat breeders of scobies close to me (only one sadly maybe willing to part with some found extra eggs that were hidden), and they either free range or keep in barn or pen, and there's supposedly do fine as long as each drake has a hen to harass at a time, and they mostly only keep even numbers (except one meat breeder), of both. they just said that oddly if only had one drake, then two hens needed at least. so could try that at least. All i think had gees and mallard duck types too, so don't know if that'd make a big difference.
I agree about the drake having more than 1 duck, it's just much better on the ducks if there's more.

Got home and found duck laid an egg! its smaller and white.. any ideas why (as egg when bought pair was huge and off white like clutch that was ready to hatch also given to me, unless he just put one in their to get extra five bucks cause she supposedly was layin..)? Either way this egg for now has at least or over about two week old egg to kkeep company in nest for now (any chance old one still viable, or probly just taking a spot for fresh egg?). I put in another water container crammed full of mostly now water iris pl

Last edited:
Ants, algea, muck, red water worms, tree frog tadpoles, great pond snails, and any other goodies I'm forgetting. as i was trying to finnish setting up and as i was hauling gruelingly all this mess over (heavy messy wet stinky breaking out of large pots, roots everywhere, as had to drag last load or two), they were right in frot at door bobbing and hoping around and seeming excitedly cheering me on and at same time seeming to get impatient. it was like trying to work around puppies as they have to "help" and get under feet, investigated and inspected everything as tried to work. matter of fact them and dog had same look as watched me toil in the full sun, as they laid together in shade after id shoo them away (i fell in the kiddie pool full of "soil" vinager and water..).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom