Attention Muscovy lovers

Yesterday/last night, my female muscovy laid another egg.. white again but between the other two sizes (one that was in her old owners pen with her when bought that was huge and colored like clutch of dozen in barn that were ready to hatch couple weeks ago, and one laid day before yesterday that was white and smaller). i paid twenty-five, for pair and all eggs, this woman tonite wants twenty for a female the same age mine supposed to be.. another breeder in my area said fifteen to eighteen usual price range. Wondering what price ranges are? course id like to think getting it would be cheaper than incubator, or buying one to three dozen ducklings to brood and raise to eat bugs and grass ect around acres, and get eggs meat to eat, and eggs and ducks to share and sell.

Last edited:
Well my female muscovy laid another egg.. white again but between the other two sizes (one that was in her old owners pen with her when bought that was huge and colored like clutch of dozen in barn that were ready to hatch couple weeks ago, and one laid day before yesterday that was white and smaller).
Sounds like she is getting settled in now, she'll lay till she feels she has enough eggs before going broody, it may be 5 but most likely it will be up close to 20
tongue.png

Id heard years ago when had rescue, that they lay thirty eggs often and can hatch all. recent having comp and talking to locals that breed them, I'm now told they lay a dozen eggs only. Some said they may make two or three nests with dozen in each.. if i get half to dozen ducklings hatched first time, ill be extatic. if i actually got thirty to hatch, id fill the tub and lay in swimming trunks surrounded by them and die of adorableness overload!

Guy came and cut the three acres for hay ect, and most importantly cleared around pond, which I'm hoping helps keep the preds away, as talked to game warden who has pair of scovys turned loose on one of his ponds, at local petting zoo/safari park, and he was saying how bad the hawks, mink, panther (called "painter" "panter" "screamers", but real name jaguarundy i think), and couger were on the animals. got me worried, but already went to pound to look at prospective watch dogs. applied for a border collie with promise, but now especially think maybe i should look closer at the huge young german sheppard too!

Last edited:
Guy came and cut the three acres for hay ect, and most importantly cleared around pond, which I'm hoping helps keep the preds away, as talked to game warden who has pair of scovys turned loose on one of his ponds, at local petting zoo/safari park, and he was saying how bad the hawks, mink, panther (called "painter" "panter" "screamers", but real name jaguarundy i think), and couger were on the animals. got me worried, but already went to pound to look at prospective watch dogs. applied for a border collie with promise, but now especially think maybe i should look closer at the huge young german sheppard too!
Look up Live stock guardian dogs or LGD's they are what you want. or a donkey or 2. seriously though most that can have them swear by the LGD's. also if you have a pond you better start hunting for snapping turtles because they can wreck havoc on ducks and ducklings.

I lost 4 more eggs tonight (day 16) when I candled them
hit.gif
I wish I could do something to stop the deaths but I'm doing everything I should be doing. Temps are right, humidity is right, I'm turning 3 times a day and spritzing them once a day. I've read that they are hard to hatch but this is heartbreaking!! 7 left with one that's iffy, I love hatching my own babies but if I have to order ducklings I will. Only bad thing is most hatcheries make you order at least 20. Any suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks

I lost 4 more eggs tonight (day 16) when I candled them
hit.gif
I wish I could do something to stop the deaths but I'm doing everything I should be doing. Temps are right, humidity is right, I'm turning 3 times a day and spritzing them once a day. I've read that they are hard to hatch but this is heartbreaking!! 7 left with one that's iffy, I love hatching my own babies but if I have to order ducklings I will. Only bad thing is most hatcheries make you order at least 20. Any suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks
I sure wish you were closer I'd just love to hand you some Scovy eggs. I'm sorry but these eggs probably went through a lot going through the mail and I think even under a mama duck they have a tough time. Have you tried going on the Fl thread to see if anyone close to you has eggs? I hope the rest continue and you get some ducklings from this hatch..
fl.gif

I'm going to candle my eggs again tonight and see how many are still growing. Luckily I've found a lady with eggs for sale about an hour away. She's letting them go for $1 each. Cross your fingers that I can hatch some fluffy butts one way or another!!

Sad news, I lost 2 more eggs tonight
hit.gif
I'm down to 5 eggs. The lady I'm getting my new eggs from also has 1 month old for sale, tempted to just to go for the ducklings and forgo anymore heartbreak!

Sad news, I lost 2 more eggs tonight
hit.gif
I'm down to 5 eggs. The lady I'm getting my new eggs from also has 1 month old for sale, tempted to just to go for the ducklings and forgo anymore heartbreak!
1mo. old ducklings are still small and a lot less heart ache. I'd go for it. My ducklings are 8 weeks and too me still babies. So sorry about the eggs..
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom