Attention Muscovy lovers

I was quoted $30 for 3 ducklings (1 month olds) straight run and she'll give me an older drake for protection. I hope that's a fair price? I may still get a few eggs????

I was quoted $30 for 3 ducklings (1 month olds) straight run and she'll give me an older drake for protection. I hope that's a fair price? I may still get a few eggs????
Seems a bit high but when there isn't many around the prices go up eh? Not sure how much protection the "older" drake would be but I do love my drakes so that would be up to you. and of course get eggs if you still want to try and hatch your own, or give the girls till next year and let them do it for you.
wink.png
I'd see if I could get her down to say 7.a piece wouldn't hurt to ask.
smile.png
Plus you have to keep in mind you could end up with too many drakes and will have to rehome some I am thinking.

I made the drive after work to get my eggs (in the pouring rain). I got 15 eggs and 2 ducklings. I had to help the poor girl chase the momma duck and all the babies around a 12ft muddy pen
barnie.gif
. They weren't very social so after catching 2 of them I told her that that they were enough. They are both little brown and white babies, one larger than the other (maybe male and female). Tonight they are in the dog kennel with food and water, they are huddled in the corner too scared to move
hide.gif
. I will try to get a pic in the morning, should I try to wash them or just let them clean themselves? When will it be safe to let them run around the yard?

I made the drive after work to get my eggs (in the pouring rain). I got 15 eggs and 2 ducklings. I had to help the poor girl chase the momma duck and all the babies around a 12ft muddy pen
barnie.gif
. They weren't very social so after catching 2 of them I told her that that they were enough. They are both little brown and white babies, one larger than the other (maybe male and female). Tonight they are in the dog kennel with food and water, they are huddled in the corner too scared to move
hide.gif
. I will try to get a pic in the morning, should I try to wash them or just let them clean themselves? When will it be safe to let them run around the yard?
Give them something small like a cat litter box[plastic] to wash in. how old are they any idea? not necessarily drake and duck they could just be dif ages. look forward to pics. keep them penned for at least a week, sitting with them when you have time just talking softly and offering good fresh feed/'treats mashed green peas, dried mealworms. let them get use to you and their surrounding and their house before letting them out. to roam around. and more eggs Congrats!! forgot to mention make sure they can get in and out of whatever you end up giving them to bath in.

Last edited:
This morning I took my new ducklings out of the kennel and sprayed them off cause they were covered in mud and poop. We took a cover off one of my garden boxes and turned it into a temp brooder for them. I gave them the top to the kennel to hide under and put them next to the chicken tractor (my pullets are 8/9 wks old). I put their food and water in dog dishes for now, I will get them a litter box for the water later today. I think they ate a little over night cause the water was a muddy, I put some mealworms in the feed to encourage them to come out of hiding. I think they are 6 or 7 weeks old, what is your thoughts????

Last edited:
This morning I took my new ducklings out of the kennel and sprayed them off cause they were covered in mud and poop. We took a cover off one of my garden boxes and turned it into a temp brooder for them. I gave them the top to the kennel to hide under and put them next to the chicken tractor (my pullets are 8/9 wks old). I put their food and water in dog dishes for now, I will get them a litter box for the water later today. I think they ate a little over night cause the water was a muddy, I put some mill worms in the feed to encourage them to come out of hiding. I think they are 6 or 7 weeks old, what is your thoughts????

Is this are really secure from preds? even your dog who looks mighty interested? I'd say a tad younger maybe 5 weeks looking at my ducklings that are 7 weeks old. If dog really wanted those ducklings those bricks will not keep it out.
really hard to say though about age because photos mess up size pretty much but this duckling is 7 weeks old yesterday looks like you have 2 barred also.

Your duck is very pretty, I hope they grow to look like yours! As far as my dog goes he hasn't shown any aggressive behavior toward my chickens and he doesn't stay outside any longer than he has to! (He's a total inside dog LOL). He goes out every morning with me to let the girls out, I think the ducks are a new smell for him. The pen the ducks are in is just temp until we get a larger one ready. I will try to get better pic of them this after noon.

Your duck is very pretty, I hope they grow to look like yours! As far as my dog goes he hasn't shown any aggressive behavior toward my chickens and he doesn't stay outside any longer than he has to! (He's a total inside dog LOL). He goes out every morning with me to let the girls out, I think the ducks are a new smell for him. The pen the ducks are in is just temp until we get a larger one ready. I will try to get better pic of them this after noon.
I really like their coloring I'll look up a pic of mine from last year that looked just like mine from this year and yours. it is amazing how much they change over the course of a few months. Glad to hear about your dog, My dogs 3 mini dachshunds and a mix bird dog have been around our ducks/chickens and geese since we got them starting at 6yrs ago, never showed the least bit of aggression, till last year my dachshund killed one of out ducklings, I let my guard down and his prey drive kicked in is all I can think of. I just don't want anyone else to have to go through that is all.

Finally went out and took a recent pic of Peggy Sue, since I have so many pics of my ducks on my computer it would have taken me the rest of this year to find the one I wanted to share. This is what I believe your 2 will look like when finally finished their transitions from duckling to adult, My lil baby girl from this year too. This is Peggy Sue she was 1yr old this past June.

I have a question, I actually got 16 egg from the lady yesterday, but when I candled them the dirtiest one was almost completely dark. I put it in the incubator even thou I didn't see any movement. It doesn't smell so I thought I would give it a few days to see if anything happens. What would be your call on this?? They came straight from the nest so I'm not sure on the age of this one?? All the other eggs were nice and clear and I placed them big end up in the incubator and hope for the best!! Let me know what you think......

Back
Top Bottom