Attention Muscovy lovers

still waiting on 2 more eggs
OH!! they are so cute!!! We really want ducklings! I bought 3 cross breeds from a farmer two weeks ago and didnt realize how different other ducks personalities are compared to muscovies. Seller said she had cayugas, welsh Harlequins, runners and a few other that she couldnt remember. I think we ended up with a welsh drake. I love his quacks! A cayuga duck. She is an adult and can be very very loud when she is hungry which isnt good since I live in a urban neighborhood! I also picked out a smaller duck that looks like a cayuga but has the body like a runner. She (maybe), is an awesome duck! I think she may be a juvenile because of her feather growth. She is brave and curious. She gets right in there with our pilgrim goose and eats. When she quacks, it reminds me of someone with laryngitis. She doesnt sound like a male or a female breed that I can find? We will call her a girl until she grows a tail curl =) I will post some pics. I would like to order ducks from a hatchery. Everyone around here allows their ducks to mix and doesnt really know what they have which is fine but it would be nice knowing what I was buying. We re-homed some of the more scared and mean ducks and got the 3 new ones and it made all the ducks nice. Its crazy how a few scared ducks can make everyone scared.

OH!!  they are so cute!!!  We really want ducklings! I bought 3 cross breeds from a farmer two weeks ago and didnt realize how different other ducks personalities are compared to muscovies. Seller said she had cayugas, welsh Harlequins, runners and a few other that she couldnt remember. I think we ended up with a welsh drake. I love his quacks! A cayuga duck. She is an adult and can be very very loud when she is hungry which isnt good since I live in a urban neighborhood! I also picked out a smaller duck that looks like a cayuga but has the body like a runner. She (maybe), is an awesome duck! I think she may be a juvenile because of her feather growth. She is brave and curious. She gets right in there with our pilgrim goose and eats. When she quacks, it reminds me of someone with laryngitis. She doesnt sound like a male or a female breed that I can find? We will call her a girl until she grows a tail curl =)  I will post some pics. I would like to order ducks from a hatchery. Everyone around here allows their ducks to mix and doesnt really know what they have which is fine but it would be nice knowing what I was buying. We re-homed some of the more scared and mean ducks and got the 3 new ones and it made all the ducks nice. Its crazy how a few scared ducks can make everyone scared. 

well where do u live? Im selling my ducklings..

oh ok, im in austin texas
I need advice. I came home with chickens last night completely unprepared. My son and I went to a farm swap and ended up and hour and 15 minutes away at animal auction. we brought home 3 silkies, 1 muscovy and 3 bb red bantams. we ended up getting home at midnight exhausted. against better judgement ( everything i have read) i was stuck putting the new guys in the same run with my ducks. i made sure not to cross touch anything. the new birds went straight into the coops that are two feet off the ground. i know that the airborne illnesses are bad and i want to treat everyone incase we brought something home

any advice?

I need advice. I came home with chickens last night completely unprepared. My son and I went to a farm swap and ended up and hour and 15 minutes away at animal auction. we brought home 3 silkies, 1 muscovy and 3 bb red bantams. we ended up getting home at midnight exhausted. against better judgement ( everything i have read) i was stuck putting the new guys in the same run with my ducks. i made sure not to cross touch anything. the new birds went straight into the coops that are two feet off the ground. i know that the airborne illnesses are bad and i want to treat everyone incase we brought something home

any advice?
Give the chickens a round of antibiotics and some dewormer "Just in case"? If there's no nasal discharge or sneezing it's unlikely that they'll spread anything airborne. I'd be more concerned of any possible droppings.

Give the chickens a round of antibiotics and some dewormer "Just in case"? If there's no nasal discharge or sneezing it's unlikely that they'll spread anything airborne. I'd be more concerned of any possible droppings.
okay thanks. dropping are contained so what ever they spread it would have been airborne....or maybe mites if they jump through the mesh. I am going to move them out today and put them in their own area. but honestly , my yard is so small and with the 10 yr old running around. if they have something there really isnt a way to keep it contained.

any advice?

sorry im not understanding the question

Last night we drove 3 hours round trip to pick up 6 muscovy ducks that are supposed to be 9-10 weeks old. They're pretty big, I wanted 2 females and 4 drakes (3 are headed to freezer camp in time for thanksgiving btw).

Idk anything about raising ducks, this can get interesting quickly I suppose. We have 54 chickens total in 4 different areas, about 40% are chicks.

The muscovies move as one it seems like in my whole 18 hours of owning them. I have 24 dp meaties that are 9-10 weeks old in with them, they get fermented 26% protein gamebird feed and treats of boss and cracked corn in that pen.

I seem to have 2 gray ones and 4 black ones. One of the black ones is a female, but I really hope the guy gave me 2 females and not just one.

What should I look for in the drake I keep to breed with for best meat production? I'm keeping a trio to over winter to give a continuous supply of meat I raise between my 2 meat rabbit does, and my chickens and now ducks, I think I should be good until spring when we add 3-5 beehives and 24 cortunix quail.

I have white bresse, ayam cemani and haffies which are ayam cemani x mottled orpington for my sustainable meat project chickens. The pen the ducks are in will be out of chickens in 6-8 weeks, but ducks are expected to go to freezer camp within 4 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom