Attention Muscovy lovers

Generally silkies are pretty docile that said, roosters can be roosters... that is a shame. Is he young?(the roo)
no clue. he crows, he is super friendly to us but my poor goose, he is not so friendly too. she has a bad leg and doesnt walk well. she is imprinted on us and is a little afraid of the ducks and her future mate (hopefully). we keep her inside with us but when i am outside she is out too. i have started keeping her in a big dog crate out in the (predator proof) duck run with another duck that likes her and her mate for an hour here and there. they like to get close to her and she will honk and run away from the other birds. that is why she is separated to have her own space until she is comfortable.
yesterday she ran away from Bruce, tripped and fell and he ran over and started jumping on her and kicking her and pecking at her! she laid there and screamed. it was terrible. i was told not to run to her every time she is scared because i am encouraging her fearful actions, but I intervened yesterday with Bruce!

My ducks are only 9 week old, so I should switch them to the 18% protein feed? Or keep them on 26% ff?

I started to get notions of having my bf build me a sweet duck house and run, but I think the ducks will be ok.. my ayam cemani, haffies and white bresse however need a home before winter gets here.

Both my females are black, should I breed with the silver/gray or the black drake? I noticed their poop smells very different from my other animals poo, so I'm thinking I might want to move them to the side yard by the bunnies and build them a duck house with pond that I can drain to water & fertilizer my plants in my greenhouses? Add a heater to prevent it icing over?

No my 19 chicks need a coop and run to move into before winter. Agh!
I have never fed such high protein either.

I would breed to the silver drake, just to get more color in the ducklings, but then I like variety.

Mine do not get a pond in the winter time...too much of a pain with cold weather etc. I have my ducks in my orchard, and the apples trees and raspberries are very happy that they get pooped on.
big_smile.png

I will switch them to my layer flock feed then that is 18% protein. I think I will keep the biggest silver drake to breed with, thanks!!

How many of you has had a duck with different colored eyes? The newest muscovy I just bought has one bright blue eye and one very dark brown eye. I realized it yesterday. Is this common? I have never seen it? I bought her because I like her coloring. I am hoping her flight feathers turn out to be a buff color and not just super dirty white feathers. She was really dirty a week ago when we got her. I keep trying to get her to take a bath.

She's an awfully pretty girl, even if her feathers don't turn out to be buff. I've seen ducks with one eye that was half blue/half brown... but I can't remember one with one blue and one brown. Since she's a combination of black and white (literally, if you bred her to another bird with her genetics you'd likely get some pure white offspring), I'd guess that she got one blue eye from her white side and a brown eye from her black side. That is SO cool. Eye color is completely hereditary too (ok that seems obvious, but a lot of people think that white always have blue eyes and black always have brown. Fact is, you CAN get blue eyed black ducks and brown eyed white ducks, it's just not Easy to do). In any case, there's a chance that some of her babies could come out with the same eye color. Very neat.

but I can't remember one with one blue and one brown. Since she's a combination of black and white (literally, if you bred her to another bird with her genetics you'd likely get some pure white offspring), That is SO cool. In any case, there's a chance that some of her babies could come out with the same eye color. Very neat.
We have two pure white scovies that we got from a farmer that breeds towards pure white. they are both super nice ducks and huge because she breeds them for meat birds. I have seen a lot of musovies. I live in central Florida where they are all over as feral ducks. I have never ever seen one with one of each color eye like Miss Penny..... I wish she was nicer. Who ever had her didnt handle her at all. She was in a small cage with a very dirty pekin and a khaki campbell that had a broken leg. I am thinking she was on a farm bred for meat.
I am thinking about letting her raise some ducklings just to see if I end up with another one with different eyes. Should I breed her with my blue eyed white duck? I wish she would make lavender ducks with blue eyes!
It is super neat!

I LOVE muscovies!! Personally the best ducks to own..
I love that they are so different in color and personality. I do love how my three cayugas flock together and are nicer to one another. The scovies seem to always be pecking at one another.

Andrea, you are absolutely right that breeding to a blue eyed white would be your best bet. Since blue is recessive, there's a far better chance for the brown to show (though it may result in one blue eye and one green eye).

Andrea, you are absolutely right that breeding to a blue eyed white would be your best bet. Since blue is recessive, there's a far better chance for the brown to show (though it may result in one blue eye and one green eye).
If I ever decide to allow her eggs to hatch, I will let you know =)

We have two pure white scovies that we got from a farmer that breeds towards pure white. they are both super nice ducks and huge because she breeds them for meat birds.  I have seen a lot of musovies. I live in central Florida where they are all over as feral ducks. I have never ever seen one with one of each color eye like Miss Penny..... I wish she was nicer. Who ever had her didnt handle her at all. She was in a small cage with a very dirty pekin and a khaki campbell that had a broken leg. I am thinking she was on a farm bred for meat.
I am thinking about letting her raise some ducklings just to see if I end up with another one with different eyes. Should I breed her with my blue eyed white duck?  I wish she would make lavender ducks with blue eyes!
It is super neat! 

I love that they are so different in color and personality. I do love how my three cayugas flock together and are nicer to one another. The scovies seem to always be pecking at one another. 

yeah the pain in the butt picking on one another. That gets old

Back
Top Bottom