Attention Muscovy lovers

mine don't pick at each other. they are much sweeter to one another than my chickens.

I easily put different aged ducklings together a few times this summer, and they were all sweet to one another. The older ducklings would preen the younger ones.

When I added a new young female to my flock, there was a bit of fussing...mostly the male wanting to mount, and the female, being so young, not yet ready. However, things settled down after a while.

My drakes are good scrappers to me that is typical they want to earn their place and will fight to maintain it and achieve it. Females are territorial too.

All that said n done i free range mamas with babies as young as only a few days and never had anyone harm them, including drakes.

How many of you has had a duck with different colored eyes? The newest muscovy I just bought has one bright blue eye and one very dark brown eye. I realized it yesterday. Is this common? I have never seen it? I bought her because I like her coloring. I am hoping her flight feathers turn out to be a buff color and not just super dirty white feathers. She was really dirty a week ago when we got her. I keep trying to get her to take a bath.

I don't think i have, i admit i don't look that closely lol As long as the eye is clear and bright that is all i care about around here lol pretty lady!

I love that they are so different in color and personality. I do love how my three cayugas flock together and are nicer to one another. The scovies seem to always be pecking at one another.
I have found overall scovies are territorial and have a pretty tough pecking order, they are not overly aggressive on the whole just the flock dynamics are quite complex. I run a drake heavy flock so i get some pretty intesne conflict but some of my highest level females are not something to be messed with..

mama scovies are something else too, i saw one this summer take on the pekin drake because she disliked his jab at her kid.. and to put it into perspective he is HUGE she is a petite scovie easily half his size lol

While i do have a few quacking ducks in my scovie flock i prefer to run scovies with scovies.. they are just very unique in their mannerisms and behaviours.

Last edited:
mama scovies are something else too,

While i do have a few quacking ducks in my scovie flock i prefer to run scovies with scovies.. they are just very unique in their mannerisms and behaviours.
All in all they get along, I got rid of a few scared (at humans) and aggressive ones and it made the whole flock nice and calm. I have only had one duck go broody and when she did EVERYONE ran from her. even the most aggressive drakes ran! =)

off topic question. i read on a chicken thread that they are nice when they are laying and once they go broody they stop laying and that is when they get mean. is this true with ducks too?

As long as the eye is clear and bright that is all i care about
her eye is perfectly fine , just a different color than the other.

Back
Top Bottom