ATTENTION NADINE !!!

enola

Crowing
11 Years
Jan 23, 2009
Irwin, Pennsylvania (Pittsburg area)
I drove for a little over one hour today to visit "Nadine", a fellow chicken person on this site. She was kind enough to sell me an Auraucana rooster. And show me all of her chickens !
ep.gif
She has all of these gorgeous chickens, some in tractors, some in their own housing and her laying hens free ranging.... Everywhere you look she has chickens !!!

Any way, I just arrived home and have put my rooster in the dog kennel where my (only) hen can see him. He thinks she is the cutest thing on two legs with feathers.
love.gif
She is furious because this "thing" has invaded her territory !!
lau.gif
(She has never seen a rooster before
hu.gif
)

I will put them in the coop together, after his quarantine is over. Maybe by then she will be used to seeing him. I sure hope when he starts crowing, she doesn't start crowing again . . .

It is funny to own a hen that crows. All the neighborhood kids were sure she was a he until she started laying eggs. Now they are sure I have the strangest chicken in the world !
th.gif

yippiechickie.gif
plus
D.gif
equals
jumpy.gif

I guess my next trip will be to pick up an incubator.

thumbsup.gif

Thanks Nadine
hugs.gif

Last edited:
Nola! I am so glad you made it home safely!
Did Boom Boom crow while you were driving? I bet you would have gotten some looks at the red lights!
lau.gif
gig.gif

I bet he does think she is gorgeous. He likes girls, he likes girls a lot!
ya.gif

She sounds too cute with her crowing. I bet she may stop now that Boom Boom is there to talk to. She must crow when she lays so no predators will be tempted to come about and get her egg. She must think she has a very ferocious noise.
ep.gif

Make sure you take pictures when they finally make babies. I want to see those gorgeous youngsters.
jumpy.gif

I am glad you came to visit and welcome you back anytime. I am sorry I had to rush off and get my DD. I would have loved to have talked all afternoon! And not only about the chickens either! We have so much in common with the horses, Bettas and Guinea Pigs. How fun!

Boom-Boom was talking real sweet to her yesterday, but she wasn't listening very well ! She walked back and forth in her pen, dragging her wing and stalking him.
somad.gif
And making some very un-hen like noises.
lau.gif

But, this morning, she is just prancing around her pen making little hen noises again.
wee.gif
When I fed them, he tried to feed her a piece of his feed.
clap.gif

He started crowing at 5:30 this morning.
big_smile.png
But, the neighbors couldn't hear him, because all the dogs in the neighborhood started barking ! ! !
th.gif

I enjoyed our little visit yesterday so much. There are no people around here to talk to about chickens, except the ones that fight their chickens.
smack.gif

I didn't realize how much I miss my guinea pigs. Your daughter's are just so darling !

Ok, now I have the rooster, next thing to buy is an incubator.....

Then I want to talk to you about some Welsummer eggs ! ! !

ps. Mike is coming over after classes today to see Boom-Boom.
celebrate.gif

So what did Mike think of your new addition? Probably thinks you are going to be like me, the crazy chicken lady! LOL

That is so sweet that Boom Boom wanted to feed your little hen! How cute is he! Such the charmer. He has much more personality then his father does. I know your girl will warm up to him with time.

I will have Welsummer eggs for hatching later this spring. I should have shown you how dark I am getting with them.

Have you tried to make one of the homemade incubators? There are plenty of threads on here for lots of different ones. I have never tried them but they are just too cool to read about. The oddest one was the crock pot! Of all things!
ep.gif

Mike didn't get a chance to come over yet
sad.png
He will get to see Boom-Boom this weekend, we think.

Mike still cannot understand why I had to drive "all that time" just for "a chicken"
lau.gif

Enola says, "Oh ! Honey ! She has the most gorgeous guinea pigs !!!"

Mike says, "
th.gif
"

lau.gif
lau.gif

POOR GUY !!!

LOL
Me thinks he doesn't know what he has gotten into!
Yeah, you just tell him we had a baby boom and will have to sell some of these babies and watch his face! LOL Bless his heart, he thinks you shouldn't have gone after a roo and here you are talking piggies.

I worked until 10 pm last night so when Mike called this morning, I was still in bed.

The conversation went like this . . . .

Me : Hello ?
Mike : Are you up yet ?
Me : Hello ! I am now . . ..
Mike : What's the rooster doing this morning ?
Me : Well ! Good morning to you too !
Mike : Good morning, honey.... WHAT's the rooster doing this morning ?
Me : I don't know, I am not up yet.....
Mike : Well don't you think you better get up and go check the rooster ? ? ? ?

lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

*********** so, coffee in hand, I am now leaving the computer to go check the rooster ***********

Back
Top Bottom