Attitude from my Buff Orp hen

Robinkay1

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 21, 2014
NJ
My chickens are about 4 months old (I have 6). My Buff Orp hen (she is #1 or #2 in the pecking order) has a bit of an attitude with me. She often comes toward my legs as if she is going to peck at me. This evening, I went to close them in their coop for the night and she came running out and sort of charged at me. She is very sweet with my son but acts very haughty around me. What's up?

I think she may view you as a competitor for her place in the pecking order. That means she doesn't view you as number 1. I have two (had 3) BO and they were a bit like this we me when they were younger. At any attempts to peck me, I would thump them back on their beaks or heads and that stopped the pecking pretty quickly. If she charges at you, move towards her. She may see this as a threat and run away, or accept it as the act of a hen higher up in the pecking order. She's still young and learning, so now is the time to condition her to accept you as the "lead hen". Mine all come when I call now! They know I bring the food, water and treats!

Back
Top Bottom