I was Attacked by a hen

M

Member 671655

Does anyone know how to train a chicken not to bite so dang hard? I was very cheerful and sweet when I went out this morning to check for eggs. Hiyatachi is a comet and she was protecting a brood of ten collected eggs unbeknownst to me. I had no idea she was in the mood she was in. She grabbed on to my arm and wouldn’t let go:( she’s the only one that treats me so violently but she’s a good layer so I don’t want to kill her:( I’ve tried the hen peck thing and I’ve tried the hanging by the feet and nothing works :/

Attachments

• 71699822821__364519E4-597A-4769-9A46-61DDFD458405.jpeg
    71699822821__364519E4-597A-4769-9A46-61DDFD458405.jpeg
    278.4 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2655.jpeg
    IMG_2655.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • 71699925653__1A342773-8D57-4B5E-AC49-39CCA168A152.jpeg
    71699925653__1A342773-8D57-4B5E-AC49-39CCA168A152.jpeg
    408.9 KB · Views: 3
Might want to wear sturdy gloves when collecting eggs :)
Or a long-sleeved heavy coat, depending on how far up the arm she grabbed.

I went out this morning to check for eggs. Hiyatachi is a comet and she was protecting a brood of ten collected eggs unbeknownst to me. I had no idea she was in the mood she was in. She grabbed on to my arm and wouldn’t let go:( she’s the only one that treats me so violently but she’s a good layer so I don’t want to kill her:( I’ve tried the hen peck thing and I’ve tried the hanging by the feet and nothing works :/

Sometimes reaching in differently can help-- from above, from below, from the front or back or side, put a hand on her back before reaching underneath with the other hand, quite a few possible variations.

With some hens, nothing helps, and you are just stuck with protective gear and/or bitten hands & arms.

When a hen is sitting on eggs, some bite and some do not. But I have never heard of anyone successfully training a biter to stop in that situation. (It might be possible, but if so I never happened to hear of it.)

I think that just comes with the territory of a broody hen, they can be protective. I've not had one to do that kind of damage, but they can be mean. Might want to wear sturdy gloves when collecting eggs :) She should be less aggressive when her broody hormones subside.
Thank you

Sometimes reaching in differently can help-- from above, from below, from the front or back or side, put a hand on her back before reaching underneath with the other hand, quite a few possible variations.

With some hens, nothing helps, and you are just stuck with protective gear and/or bitten hands & arms.

When a hen is sitting on eggs, some bite and some do not. But I have never heard of anyone successfully training a biter to stop in that situation. (It might be possible, but if so I never happened to hear of it.)
Yeah she was in a corner so maybe she felt attacked? I tried to talk to her gently as I do my other hens but she was bent on keeping those eggs safe I think. ❤️thank you

Yeah she was in a corner so maybe she felt attacked? I tried to talk to her gently as I do my other hens but she was bent on keeping those eggs safe I think. ❤️thank you

She probably was trying to keep those eggs safe. And if you were collecting eggs, she was right to think you were a "danger" to her clutch of eggs (because you really were planning to take them away from her.)

She just laid a third egg. Man alive this poor hen what’s going on with her?? Yes I witnessed her laying all three today

Thank you and will do. I posted a pic of her and the eggs she was protecting lol she’s much better now that she laid her third egg

Back
Top Bottom