Attracting Owl to Silo - Hear me out, suggestions needed!

Hi I'm in another part of the world (Europe) so I don't know how appropriate my writings are regarding your region and the particular owls that live there. The biggest owl we have over here is the Uhu, and I have read a lot of reports that such a bird indeed keeps away hawks because, as you wrote above, they don't like to live near each other. The Uhu is a natural enemy of any predator bird smaller than him (which are nearly all) - even of all other kind of owls we do have here. But the Uhu is kind of rare, so I don't have personal experiences. Plastic Uhu-statues are sold here to place them nearby chicken runs to scare off hawks, but I read very different reviews regarding efficiency regarding that practice.
I never heard or read one of the smaller kind of owls here does keep away hawks. We have two kind of owl living and/or nesting in our neighbourhood (and neighbours do have chickens), but hawks come every year about August and stay all fall and winter.
All owls are great mice-hunters so it would be clearly a benefit to have them nesting at your place! When they have to feed their chicks they need a lot of little rodents. I have seen several nesting boxes for very different kind of owls we have here. Some need a tubular thing, others a common looking nest box with a very big hole and others prefer a nesting platform as DaisyFaye7 mentioned above. We do have a kind of owl that loves to nest in barns, roofs of old churches, etc. Here is a plan how to build a nest box for them: https://praxistipps.lbv.de/fileadmin/_migrated/content_uploads/schleiereule.pdf - it is just an example. I'm sure you can find plans for the kind of owl who used to nest in your silo. It is only importand to find out if they prefer nest boxes or platforms and which dimensions they need.
I think owls are incredibly interesting animals and I hope you will successfully encourage them to come back!
:welcome :frow I looked them up. They look like a Great Horned Owl we have here in the US. Apparently there they are also called eagle owls.

:welcome :frow I looked them up. They look like a Great Horned Owl we have here in the US. Apparently there they are also called eagle owls.
Thank you ❤
Awesome you looked them up! I just looked the names up you found out and you are absolutely right - they are called eagle owls in English and they really look very similar like one of the Great Horned Owls in the US (big horns and bodyshape)!

They are all such beautiful birds!

Back
Top Bottom