Atwoods and their Mystery Chicks

Fallenone05

Crowing
8 Years
Oct 7, 2015
SE Oklahoma
So, my local Atwoods being an Atwoods had a bin of chicks labeled "Fun and Fancy Pullets." There was no other identifyer anywhere, it literally just slapped a mystery label on it and called it a day.

This is the chick I got from the bin

IMG_20210818_200806.jpg IMG_20210818_200811.jpg

I put her under my broody hen and she immediately took to momma and vice-versa.

She has feathered legs and black shanks to the toes, along with what looks like a straight comb. I was honestly thinking she's probably one of the Midnight Majesty Marans or something, but I have no idea where our Atwoods (or any) source their chicks from.

I would say you're right. Some sort of Marans.

It'll be easier to ID her once she's fully feathered though. Post some updated pics later.

So, my local Atwoods being an Atwoods had a bin of chicks labeled "Fun and Fancy Pullets." There was no other identifyer anywhere, it literally just slapped a mystery label on it and called it a day.

View attachment 2803290View attachment 2803291

She has feathered legs and black shanks to the toes, along with what looks like a straight comb. I was honestly thinking she's probably one of the Midnight Majesty Marans or something, but I have no idea where our Atwoods (or any) source their chicks from.

I got one from the Fun and Fancy and one from the one they labeled rare specialty. Does my darker one look somewhat like yours?

Attachments

• 20210826_164014.jpg
    20210826_164014.jpg
    394.7 KB · Views: 40
I got one from the Fun and Fancy and one from the one they labeled rare specialty. Does my darker one look somewhat like yours?
They look similar but they're not feather-footed like mine. 🤔 Depending on the hatchery that might not mean much. I'm thinking that, like with that Overo Mare said, more feathers might be better to tell what they are.

View attachment 2803290View attachment 2803291

Same here. We got two of them.. a grey one and a yellow/white one. I'm excited to see what they are! They were $5.99 versus $3.49 for the labeled pullets so I guess we pay extra for the mystery :)

Back
Top Bottom