AudriAnna's Americauna's

Wow! Our little flock is really growing. AudriAnna is going to have fun with these EE's once they and she get's bigger. I'm so looking forward to both growing up. Especially seeing the flock through my daughters eye's. The EE's are a bit skittish when all together but calm down one on one. the Littles as I call the Week old Australorps are much calmer but follow their older brood mates around. No guesses on what I have as far as the AO's go since they're really alike. With the EE's I've been pretty sure I have at least 3 Roosters in the mix. Although which one is a rooster and which isn't has varied except for Goldy. Since I'm pretty sure that one is a Male changing name to Heinlein.
Almost called the little Australorps Weebles since they do tend to get bowled over when the bigger ones decide to run around the brood bin.

Goldy now named Heinlein after my favorite Author.

Poor Smokey seems to always look more frazzled than the rest.

Drama, Heinlein's much less colorful but REALLY Loudmouthed sibling. Peeps like it's being slowly murdered whenever picked up.

What up Peep's?

We're the Littles.

Ruling the roost in cute.

I got my first chickens last year from a feed store in Houston.Had never had chickens (city girl).Now living near Galveston where I can have a small flock.Just by pure luck/accident I got 2 Dominques from the store -they were 3 days old.One year later they have grown into the sweetest hens,quiet and love to cuddle.They lay a very pretty light creamy brown egg almost every day.They get along very well with their sister Easter Egger and Rhode Island Red.I totally agree with Lazy Gardener in recommending Dominques for your flock.

I got my first chickens last year from a feed store in Houston.Had never had chickens (city girl).Now living near Galveston where I can have a small flock.Just by pure luck/accident I got 2 Dominques from the store -they were 3 days old.One year later they have grown into the sweetest hens,quiet and love to cuddle.They lay a very pretty light creamy brown egg almost every day.They get along very well with their sister Easter Egger and Rhode Island Red.I totally agree with Lazy Gardener in recommending Dominques for your flock.

My admittedly limited experience with those are of 2 Dominque rooster that were very aggressive. True any chicken can be aggressive it's just the 2 I met personally make me very leery of having them around when my daughter finally starts walking around exploring.

Roos of any breed and toddlers are not a good combination IMO.

This is true. Just meant the 2 Dom ROoster I have any experience were verging on psychotic. They attacked anyone or thing that entered the coop other than the hens. Even trying to attack through the wire. Know how both were raised so it wasn't their raising they were just mean. I know it's not typical but those chickens were insane.

Just waiting for the chicks to grow up now. Can't wait to get the first egg from the coop. HA! have to get the coop put together. Possibilities of breeding the EE's with the AO's is looking okay. Hope I can get the dark AO coloring into my backyard Rather than having a dark olive colored egg when I cross breed it's looking more like I'll get a nice pastel green instead AO's have a bigger range of coloration than I first thought. Do hope I can add a bit to the Size, dark coloration, and maybe improve the EE's egg production.
Mostly just fun for me and in a year or so AudriAnna. Thinking when I start selling the eggs any money from that goes into her savings. All the expenses I'll just put down as paying for one of my hobbies. I'm still thinking 3 roosters out of the 8 EE's No clue about the Australorps yet but the EE's should lay around 170 eggs per hen. SO that times 5 is a lot of eggs that can be sold.
Don't think the wife thought about my having both girl and boy chickens means I can get more chickens. (Shhh! don't tell!)
Living in farm country means I'm sure there are some old farm types that would love to have a fresh young rooster either to add to flock or pot and can probably sell those for a little profit.

Wow! Our little flock is really growing. AudriAnna is going to have fun with these EE's once they and she get's bigger. I'm so looking forward to both growing up. Especially seeing the flock through my daughters eye's. The EE's are a bit skittish when all together but calm down one on one. the Littles as I call the Week old Australorps are much calmer but follow their older brood mates around. No guesses on what I have as far as the AO's go since they're really alike. With the EE's I've been pretty sure I have at least 3 Roosters in the mix. Although which one is a rooster and which isn't has varied except for Goldy. Since I'm pretty sure that one is a Male changing name to Heinlein.
Almost called the little Australorps Weebles since they do tend to get bowled over when the bigger ones decide to run around the brood bin.

Goldy now named Heinlein after my favorite Author.

Poor Smokey seems to always look more frazzled than the rest.

Drama, Heinlein's much less colorful but REALLY Loudmouthed sibling. Peeps like it's being slowly murdered whenever picked up.

What up Peep's?

We're the Littles.

Ruling the roost in cute.

The second and the fourth pictured chick seem to be scuffling a bit. Those are 2 I'd picked out as Roosters. Goldy/AKA Heinlein due to his coloration and the chick in number 4 due to larger size and somewhat mean look to it. I think Drama is also a rooster as well. Really can't wait for the combs to start coloring in and the hackle feathers to come in.

The second and the fourth pictured chick seem to be scuffling a bit. Those are 2 I'd picked out as Roosters. Goldy/AKA Heinlein due to his coloration and the chick in number 4 due to larger size and somewhat mean look to it. I think Drama is also a rooster as well. Really can't wait for the combs to start coloring in and the hackle feathers to come in.

Been told the second and the 4th one are both hens due to the long tail feathers. They are the 2 that are scuffling and the fourth one has started developing a bit of red to the comb. Both chicks combs are way larger than the rest although the eighth one comb is also larger.

Well finally had a good day outside where I could get the Coop put together. It's a very cute coop but not going to be able to use it other than as a chicken tractor with some modifications.The sign I won from Purina fit nicely on the front as well. It'll do For temporary as long as I make sure to put some other floor underneath. somewhat sturdier than I expected although I can't for the life of me understand why there is no door on the coop to separate it from the run part of it.

Back
Top Bottom