August 2016 Hatch-A-Long

Coming over from the July hatch-a-long, tomorrow will start lock down for our 4 or 5 silkie eggs, I'll candle the one that looks way different than the others tonight and decide if it's ok or not.  It had been doing great....it looked like it had two in there, and movement 3 nights ago, but not anymore from either of the odd spots.  Yes, this is my first time, so I'm learning the entire way through. We started out with 13, but they went through shipment hell, and yes USPS refunded me $50.

We had a dryer die, so I plan on using the body of the dryer for coop, will insulate it and alter it a bit, and will be turning the drum into another warm farm.

Hubby decided to jump on the bandwagon. (bummer, since this was something me and my daughter-in-law wanted to do together and we had other things we wanted to hatch...and we live in town)  He did a homemade incubator that is rocking the temp and humidity far better than my $140 unit could ever compete with. I love his homemade version!!  He has 2 Mallard eggs that are due August 16, and 6 Ancona eggs due to hatch on August 26.  Started out with 6 Mallard eggs, but 4 were yokers. I will know more on his 6 Ancona eggs later down the road when I can candle them. 

So there is my story :)  

Now let's hatch those August babies!!  :weee

Wish you were closer so I could buy an Ancona baby off of you! If you sell hatching eggs next year is be interested.

I am down to 2 from my the original set I put in, 8 had blood rings, 1 stunk! 1 is good and then theres this one that decided to look like this Today's candeling which is day 12.

I'm pretty sure it's a gonner, but this is also my first time incubating too, and i had to make my own incubator when the mother abandoned her eggs. Does anyone know what's going on with this one? Is it a tosser? I drew the line on the outside of the egg for growth compaison, but the one under the black dot is on the inside of the egg, any advice would help and Hopefully everyone eles has better luck than me! I went from 12 to 10 to 4 to maybe just 1 now-Ugggh!

I have one similar but the embryo is moving and it doesn't stink so I'm holding on to it. No movement or stinkingI toss it.

I have one similar but the embryo is moving and it doesn't stink so I'm holding on to it. No movement or stinkingI toss it.

It does not stink but I haven't noticed any movement either. I tossed the stinker, I'm debating on this one, it almost looks like a bloodline is trying to form and can't tell if other viens are present and good because the egg is brown and hard to see through

Last edited:
Hatch day is Monday and today I've heard at least one peeping from inside the shell! I've told everyone at least once. :). No pips that I can tell yet.

Yea any dead eggs I would take out but watch your temp when you take eggs out because the temp could change because the eggs put off heat. If you don't take them out the could blow up in the incubator then you have a mess on your hands and it smell so very bad. GOOD LUCK!!!

Well it's time for me to join. My super broody hen went broody. (Cochin/buff Orpington) so I put 18 eggs under her (I was unsure of fertility because of rooster ratio). Today is day 10 so I tried to candle.

I was only able to do 6 because I could not keep her away. But 4 looked very good. So now I just have to wait.

We're expecting next weekend
Started with 18 in
We've got 15/18 developing
Apparently our ppr girl is faster than out lav orp...lol none of her eggs are fertile.
We've got 4 lav orp, 4 blue egg Easter egger, and 7 EE eggs not blue.
We'll see

Back
Top Bottom