August 2016 Hatch-A-Long

Three blues
1f601.png

So I drilled into the air cells of the ones I thought had died and confirmed it. 3 had internally piped but didn't go any further, another had its head on the wrong end. I have 1 egg that is cheeping at me and am wondering what I can do to prevent myself from losing this one too? The last hasn't done anything yet but the vessels I can see look strong. Humidity is at 65% and I haven't had any external pips at all.

Last edited:
So I drilled into the air cells of the ones I thought had died and confirmed it. 3 had internally piped but didn't go any further, another had its head on the wrong end. I have 1 egg that is cheeping at me and am wondering what I can do to prevent myself from losing this one too? The last hasn't done anything yet but the vessels I can see look strong. Humidity is at 65%  and I haven't had any external pips at all.

I know some people play chirping sounds for motivation. You might try that!

Fluffyserama
One of mine zipped and then positioned backwards and died like that too, I'm sorry I feel your pain, but when I played baby chicken noises on YouTube it got them going, you can try that, I heard not to help them unless you know you have to. Hopefully the rest of our hatch goes good, I can't keep my temp regulated ever since I had to take dead chick out, it keeps going to 102 and 104, I may not have any babies
1f623.png
1f623.png
1f623.png
good luck with yours!

Last edited:

So I made a hole in the piped eggs and I'm glad I did! The membrane had collapsed around it and the chick was well on its way to being shrink wrapped. (Membrane was turning white in places) I upped humidity, put olive oil on the membrane and made a cap with another egg shell... how often do you think I should re-apply the oil?

I'm also thinking that the three chicks that piped but didn't make it failed because they piped in a funky air cell away from where they could reach the shell.
This has been quite the refresher course in incubation. I hope I do better during the September hatch

I'm sorry this hatch did not go as well as you expected. I hope September is much better.

Back
Top Bottom