August 2022 Hatch-a-long

Pics
Two shells! Babies tucked under mama hen, cant get a good look yet. 4 more to go. One of the questionable ones hatched!

Trying to decide if I can move her now and let her hatch the rest in her small one or wait until they are all done?! Anyone? I read she will stay on the nest if the babies are there, but I would hate to screw it up

Attachments

• 20220730_055620.jpg
    20220730_055620.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 2
Interesting observations, now I’m going to have to go down the Google rabbit hole lol. Do people put much effort into studying chicken fertility? Are they not “important” enough to get studied or can they just get replaced easily and it’s not “worth the effort?”
Yes, I go down these rabbit holes often myself! 🤣

I think possibly because she is a Shetland Hen and they are likely very inbred. I believe all birds in the US can be traced from stock that was imported directly by Greenfire. Maybe this has something to do with the fertility issue?

I have another hen that has ovarian failure, my own diagnosis, we have no chicken vets here! She laid one egg when she was about five months old, about a year ago, and has not laid an egg since. She is otherwise healthy and the rooster mates her. She’ll even go in the nest box and hang out there for a bit, but no eggs from this one.🤷‍♀️

Two shells! Babies tucked under mama hen, cant get a good look yet. 4 more to go. One of the questionable ones hatched!

Trying to decide if I can move her now and let her hatch the rest in her small one or wait until they are all done?! Anyone? I read she will stay on the nest if the babies are there, but I would hate to screw it up
Congratulations!!

Back
Top Bottom