*** AUGUST HATCH-A-LONG come join in ***

Quote:
So are MINE!! We REALLY need a "biting fingernails" smiley!

We sure do! I've always written it as *biting fingernails up to the elbow*.
big_smile.png

I just set a dozen of our silkie eggs under my silkie hen, dut to hatch August 25. This is her 3rd time going broody so far since March, and she's done well with the other two batches of eggs. Her last hatch was 9 bantam cochin and silkie chicks on June 25. She's only laid the 12 eggs since her last bout of broodiness, and I saved them all for her to set. Hopefully they're all fresh enough to grow into silkies!

I've got 3 levels of nest boxes, with 3 boxes in each level. I've got the bottom level fenced off so the others can't get into it, but the broody is still in the coop. I took her out of the regular nest box today and set her by the broody box, and she immediately jumped in and started cooing and pulling them under her. This is a fierce little mama, and she draws blood if we try to look under her to check eggs or to look at the chicks after they've hatched. It's really comical to see this tiny little hen attacking, but I know she'd give her life for her eggs/babies.

This is Mrs. Party, settling in this evening:
13038_cimg0669.jpg

Ok, so the early pipper is out. What's the small little bump between their legs all about? Is that yolk that hadn't been all the way sucked "in" yet? And I've got another one pipping as we speak. Newborn chickies sure are loud.
lol.png

one out, one zipping and nothing from the rest so far. its day 22 for 2 of the eggs and day 21 for the rest. i'm still hopeful the others will go today
smile.png

14 are out so far out of 24.2 others are almost out.Over all not bad on shipped eggs! Thanks to camelot farms for the porcelin d'cuccles and pampered poultry for the oegb and the sizzles!!I am so eggcited for these little guys to make it!!

I just received 16 sizzle eggs from pamperedpoultry. I am going to let them settle today and put in the incubator tomorrow morning. Hatch day should be around August 27. I can't wait to see how this hatch goes, my last was 50%.

Quote:
Yes, that is called bloody navel and is caused from your temps running to high during incubation. That is why your chick hatched early. Congratulations on your new chicks!
big_smile.png
One of my two eggs has just pipped and sure hope both make it
fl.gif

UPDATE: day 22 for the bantam eggs and day 21 for the LF. No Action. Nothing. It's driving me crazy seeing all the other hatch updates and I dont have anything upbeat to share.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom