Auracana or ameracauna????

BrahmaCrazy

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 10, 2014
South Africa
Hi! I'm new to poultry! I desperately wanted a "blue -egg - laying" chicken - something that is hard to find in South Africa.
I recently came across a woman claiming to sell lavender araucanas. I dont mind much whether it is a ameracauna or a araucana I would just like to know what I am buying? I am planning to make the 480km drive to see the birds. Can someone please advice me what the breed is on this chicken. Im posting a picture from her website.

Like Donrea said, the pictured chickens appear to be Australian (or British) Araucanas. Their SOP calls for a breard, a crest and a tail. The SOP for Araucanas in the USA calls for tufts and rumpless(ness). Mike is correct, the pullets from this pair should produce blue eggs, although I doubt the egg will glow like the pictured egg.

Last edited:
An Araucauna is a rumpless (tailless) bird with ear tufts' and the Ameraucauna has a tail and muffs' which are never present genetically without a beard as well. They both lay blue eggs because they are descended from the same original stock' but Ameraucaunas are easier to get fertile eggs from because rumplessness affects ability to breed.

I'm thinking they're Australian Aracaunas. Further confusing the above definition is the fact different countries have different breed standards. Aussie Aracaunas have the small crests like these birds, and are not rumpless like the American bird.

Thank you all for the responses!! Can I breed an Easter Egger from these birds?? I have Brahma, Wyandotte, Auatralorps, Orpingtons, Leghorns, Sussex?

Back
Top Bottom