Aurora Co law up for review again - need resources

That is so very exciting for Aurora!!!!! I am glad and can't wait to have a few in my back quarter :eek:)

WE ARE THIS CLOSE BUT HAVE COME UNDER FIRE!

There is an Aurora City Council meeting on February 24th, where the ordinance to approve chickens will be voted on by council. It was approved in Study Session but can be voted down here - especially since there are members on council who are adamantly opposed and fighting dirty (twisting the truth and being really rude).

If you have ANY interest in chickens, we really really really need you to show up for this council meeting. You do NOT have to speak, but are encouraged to do so. Sally Mounier is going to try and ask the supporters to stand. Bob Roth is also likely to rally people who are against this to be there (he is opposed and is organizing folks to fight it, despite the fact - and because of the fact - that we got our six yes votes we needed).

I know we are all busy and have our day to day lives, but this could really make or break us moving forward. PLEASE SHOW UP! Please consider speaking.

Sally Mounier has been working really hard to get things to this point, and is not planning on letting the ordinance stay where it is at (there are a few parts we don't really like that we have compromised on in order to get it passed.) There have to be compromises *at this point*. If this vote FAILS we will need to raise around $75,000 to *try* and get it on the ballot, during which time chickens will still be illegal. The ordinance as it stands gets our foot in the door.

Again, PLEASE COME TO THE COUNCIL MEETING ON FEB. 24th at 7:30 pm. If you want to speak in support of chickens in Aurora, you have to sign up before the meeting. Rally your neighbors, your friends and anyone you know that is able to show up.

If you're on Facebook you can let us know you will be coming if you like, https://www.facebook.com/events/636012036434366/?ref_newsfeed_story_type=regular

If it gets approved at this meeting - which it should, but again, feelings are high about the issue - then the ordinance will go through one more vote and be approved.

For our last, important push before Monday's vote (so today or tomorrow), please do the following, per Sally's urging:

Here follows what I believe will work to impress Councilman Bob Roth.
This is a two step process:
  1. Call the Aurora City Council Office at 303.739.7015 M-F between 8am – 5pm. You will reach a live person. Say “I am an Aurora citizen, and I am supporting the chicken ordinance. Please count me in as in favor of allowing chickens."
  2. Then ask to be connected to Bob Roth’s office. You will leave a message saying, "My name is XXXX and I am a citizen of Aurora. I hope you will change your mind and support letting us have a few hens. Thank you."
This will do two things…let the council staff keep accurate, by the numbers, track of the support for or against chickens. And two, will give Roth brief, concise messages that there is a great deal of support for chickens.

3. Lastly, I would ask the group to email Bob Roth the reason for their support for chickens. His email address is [email protected].

That should have a positive affect on our efforts.

Thanks, Sally

It was so nice to meet you last night! I have to admit I actually took a break at work and looked at a few chicken coops. It is so nice to actually believe we will be getting chickens.

We did it! The final vote passed. Details about the permit and regulations can be seen here: https://www.auroragov.org/LivingHere/PetsLivestockandWildlife/Chickens/index.htm

In future dates, after the hubbub has died down and certain council members move on, we will try to increase number of hens to 6 or 8 and remove the fence restriction. For now, follow the ordinance to the best of your ability and show that chicken owners are good citizens.

Back
Top Bottom