Border Collie or Aussie?

• Total voters
(Aussie owners cover your eyes! I am about to make you mad!)
:plbb

I think we talked in the other thread, but I unlike many in this thread I would choose a Border Collie hands down over an Aussie.

I have had herding dogs for 25 years...I have owned and fostered a dozen or more BCs.
I have also fostered a few Aussies through a herding dog rescue.

I know a ton of Aussies as they are very popular as pets here. I have several very good friends who I train with regularly who have them, both working type and more show type. They are smart and funny and their owners love them, and I see the appeal.

That said, I would never want one. I find my Border Collies have been easier to train, both basic training and advanced stuff. They figure out a ton of stuff without even really being taught. They are good with rules and order...teaching stuff like respecting boundaries they could easily get over and understanding teh concept of "house toys" and "outside toys" and that I never want a gross outside toy on my couch! I find them calmer in the house (much better off switch), smaller and less hairy and easier to groom. They are better at respecting personal space...my friends dogs slam into me, are right in my face, bounce and knock into furniture. They knock stuff off of tables and one I baby sat nearly knocked my TV off the stand.

They bark way more, and several whine A LOT (kind of makes me nuts). About half are less reliable off lead far longer than my Border Collies have been. And lastly, and not terribly importantly, I find them way more attractive with their tails and their build.

YMMV, my friends with Aussies feel the same way about Border Collies as I do about Aussies. I love Border Collies but honestly never see myself owning an Aussie.

I think we talked in the other thread, but I unlike many in this thread I would choose a Border Collie hands down over an Aussie.

I have had herding dogs for 25 years...I have owned and fostered a dozen or more BCs.

I know a ton of Aussies as they are very popular as pets here. I have several very good friends who I train with regularly who have them, both working type and more show type. They are smart and funny and their owners love them, and I see the appeal.

That said, I would never want one. I find my Border Collies have been easier to train, both basic training and advanced stuff. They figure out a ton of stuff without even really being taught. They are good with rules and order...teaching stuff like respecting boundaries they could easily get over and understanding teh concept of "house toys" and "outside toys" and that I never want a gross outside toy on my couch! I find them calmer in the house (much better off switch), smaller and less hairy and easier to groom. They are better at respecting personal space...my friends dogs slam into me, are right in my face, bounce and knock into furniture. They knock stuff off of tables and one I baby sat nearly knocked my TV off the stand.

They bark way more, and several whine A LOT (kind of makes me nuts). About half are less reliable off lead far longer than my Border Collies have been. And lastly, and not terribly importantly, I find them way more attractive with their tails and their build.

YMMV, my friends with Aussies feel the same way about Border Collies as I do about Aussies. I love Border Collies but honestly never see myself owning an Aussie.

Thank you for this! Very insightful and informative! Definitely a lot to think about haha

You described Aussies to a "T". I guess it depends what you want in your life. That's why having the choice of so many breeds is a blessing as everyone can find what they want, and what's a good fit.

My border collie came house broken at 5 months, simple. 2 out of 3 of my Aussies took to around 7-8 months before they were house broken. The third I don't know if she was really totally house broken, just could hold it well. :)

Well I have never owned pure of either breed but have a Border Collie/Aussie and a Golden Retriver/Aussie. The Border Collie cross is a handful and well a bad Dog daily at 10 years old. Too smart and gets into mischief.
My Golden Aussie is a fantastic dog. :thumbsup

I think that is the problem w many BC - they are so smart they find ways to get in trouble. Easily bored, like a college-level kid in high school. Many owners just can't cope. Great if you can keep up with them!

You described Aussies to a "T". I guess it depends what you want in your life. That's why having the choice of so many breeds is a blessing as everyone can find what they want, and what's a good fit.

My border collie came house broken at 5 months, simple. 2 out of 3 of my Aussies took to around 7-8 months before they were house broken. The third I don't know if she was really totally house broken, just could hold it well. :)

They both sound great. So hard to choose haha

One of each, maybe? But get 'em six months to a year apart so they bond to you and not to each other!

That’s a good idea! Although two herding dogs at once might be a bit much for me :lau :lol:

I would like to try them both though...

Also considering a Golden or Lab or even a poodle or small breed so all pretty different breeds hah

I think that is the problem w many BC - they are so smart they find ways to get in trouble. Easily bored, like a college-level kid in high school. Many owners just can't cope. Great if you can keep up with them!

They do need work to do! It doesn't have to be sheep or even something formal, but they need to be a part of your life, doing stuff like fetching papers and playing games. They tend to develop rituals and decide certain things have specific rules. Its either cute to you, or super annoying. I usually find it cute. But I am a weirdo. :D

But really, Aussies need brain work, too. Any active working breed does.

Back
Top Bottom