Austra Whites

I have 4 of these girls! They all lay slightly different shades....lol...they go from almost white to a light tan to the one on the end being almost pink!! They have been laying every day and seem to be a little more vocal than my other girls, which I don't mind!!
clap.gif

I have 4 of these girls! They all lay slightly different shades....lol...they go from almost white to a light tan to the one on the end being almost pink!! They have been laying every day and seem to be a little more vocal than my other girls, which I don't mind!!
clap.gif
oh LA LA13,, thank you for posting this! WoW that surely is white enough for me! I want get some more when I can find them. Do you remember how old they were when they layed?

Thanks!
MB

Quote: The uneven color is typical of Austra Whites. The darkness of the shade will depend on the individual hen. Some of them will lay eggs a little darker than any of these (like a tan or beige).

I absolutely love my girls--they lay light tan to darker beige eggs everyday--all starting laying about 17 weeks and they never miss a beat. they are great layers and have not showed any signs of broodiness.

These are easily becoming among my favorites in my flock. I only have four, but want to add more of them this coming spring. They were sold as "white" egg layers, but they are definitely not a white egg when comparing them to my Leghorn eggs. Their off-white and light beige eggs do make a nice contrast with all my others. However, they are nearly as good of layers for quantity and they lay the biggest eggs of all of my flock regularly. They are definitely bigger than a leghorn as well when it finally does come time to use them for soup chickens. I love their black legs. My only complaint for them is they do have big combs and wattles. It is getting very cold here already and I am concerned that I will probably need to do something to avoid frostbite with them as temperatures have already reached as low as 5 degrees fahrenheit. They are a great chicken cross-breed.

I think you have Austra Whites instead of White Leghorns. That's why the eggs are cream colored or light brown. At a distance your birds look like White Leghorns, but when I enlarge your photos, it appears that they have a few very small black spots on them (less than Austra Whites usually have).
i agree ( we have austra whites and it looks the same) https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/939847/how-do-i-tell-what-breed-my-chooks-are this is my thread so u can look at my pics and answers
welcome-byc.gif
i wouldn't be
ep.gif
if they were austra whites

Last edited:
One of my Austra-Whites is my first broody. It's not the best time of year here in Northern Illinois, but she's on a clutch of fertile eggs I got from a neighbor. We'll see if she makes it to January 5th.

One of my Austra-Whites is my first broody. It's not the best time of year here in Northern Illinois, but she's on a clutch of fertile eggs I got from a neighbor. We'll see if she makes it to January 5th.
Hi,,

Did your Austra indeed hatch her clutch? I hope so, I would love to see pictures if you have any. I wonder if she looks like my girl.

MB

Back
Top Bottom