1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Austral....oops?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NellaBean, Apr 20, 2009.

1. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Check out my two Australorp PULLETS. Straight from the TSC pullet bin, we all know how accurate that is.

Pullet #1
    [​IMG]

Pullet #2?
    [​IMG]

Hey. That doesn't look like a pullet.

[​IMG]

I guess I know have an Australorps pullet and an Australoops "pullet".

Anyone disagree?

And the white one giving a dirty look....I am assuming a white leghorn pullet?

These are all about 5 weeks old. I bought 2 Australorps, 2 white whatevers and 2 buttercups.....so far looks like 1 Australorp pullet, 1 cockeral, 2 buttercup pullets and hopefully 2 white pullets. They have some comb action going on, but yellow and it seems like white leghorns always have big combs, right?

2. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    you are right you have a roo in the bunch...not sure about the white one

3. dr_lukanov

dr_lukanov Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2009
    1- female
    2- male
    [​IMG]

4. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I agree.

5. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    yeah def roos

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2009
  6. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I bought some chicks from the TSC "pullet" bin just over a week ago and when I asked if they were sure they were pullets the store manager said they were, UNLESS, someone put some of the straight run chicks in the pullet bin. While I was there there were several unattended small children handling the chicks. [​IMG] I think there should have been an employee posted at the chick/duck bins, someone to help people with their purchases and to supervise kids handling the babies. When I was there NO employee was available to help me get my chicks, it was self-service!

7. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Ya I think TSC should put someone there who has chicken knowing..
    I went in one and asked what they thought the chicks were..
    She gave me a snob I dont know and walked off
    Kinda ticked me off..

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  8. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Yes, after hearing how bad the "sexing rate" from TSC seems to be, I am mostly just hoping for the best. But i bought more than I wanted assuming I would have to "thin the flock"

I bought 12 from TSC. 6 in the first batch (2 Australorps, 2 white chicks, 2 buttercups), 6 in the second (all cochins, 3 black, 3 barred).

First batch appears to be: 1 cockeral, 3 pullets, 2 maybes (I think pullets).
    Second batch (all cochins) appear to be: 3 cockerals, 3 MAYBE pullets. Honestly only 1 looks to really be a pullet, 2 maybes, and 3 cockerels. SIGH
    Interestingly enough, the second batch were 3 barred, 3 black. And it looks like the 3 black are the female and two maybes....and the 3 barred are males.

Did someone sex link my cochins? Say what?

I'm so confused. One of the barred cochins is REALLY LIGHT. Almost looks grayish, but it is just really light bars. The other two have really bright barring. But are starting to get red wattles already. The really light colored barred cochin has major major attitude. At 4 weeks. Yay.

I am planning on getting rid of all roosters except 1 or maybe 2, depending on which turn out to be boys.

What a pain. I'm going to be annoyed if my pullet percentage is less than 50%. considering I bought 12 pullets. So far my 12 pullets are.....1 definite cockeral and at least 3 solid maybes (up to 7 depending on if I include the ones that are not really feathered out enough but looking cocky)

WHOOPS TSC WHOOPS.

We'll see. I was hoping to thin the flock based on personality...not on sex. But now I have a bunch of cockerals and a few pullets with bad personalities.

I may just have to order some online, ha ha ha.

9. dadof4

dadof4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2008
    mississippi
    At least yours knew what they might be. I asked the people at TSC and they informed us the were assorted PELLETS. Steller training.

10. thegreypony

thegreypony Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:ROTFLMAO!!! At least at our TSC they might offer you horse feed or lime before chicks if you were to ask for pellets...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by