Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Drumroll............

Introducing our little peep! (kids keep saying I cannot call it that LOL)

oh my gosh Appps those pics are adorable!!
love.gif

Good morning
frow.gif

JHek I am sorry for your loss. The others have given you good advice and I will leave it at hoping that it all works out for you and you have a very successful hatch.

appps I was getting concerned while reading your earlier posts and then wooo hoo, Penny and bub are out in their run; phew!

Beautiful pictures .. so, so adorable!

satay congratulations on the 100% hatch rate; good stuff!!!

Blondie update: This morning when I opened the little door to her nest, she came out with the two littlies in tow. Where there should have been 3 eggs on the nest there were only two. One was caught up in her feathers; it had pipped and half zipped but the poor little one had passed away before being able to break out.

The remaining two eggs were intact, no pips. Sadly, they both failed the candle and float test. Subsequent eggtopsy revealed one had not developed at all and the other looked pretty close to fully developed but had passed away without breaking the shell.

I am feeling a bit mixed emotionally today; very sad about the two who were so very close but happy for Blondie and the little ones who made it. I am sure that watching her teach the littlies will lift my spirits and she seems very pleased with herself and that is what is important
love.gif

Good morning :frow

JHek I am sorry for your loss.  The others have given you good advice and I will leave it at hoping that it all works out for you and you have a very successful hatch.

appps I was getting concerned while reading your earlier posts and then wooo hoo, Penny and bub are out in their run; phew!

Blondie update:  This morning when I opened the little door to her nest, she came out with the two littlies in tow.  Where there should have been 3 eggs on the nest there were only two.  One was caught up in her feathers; it had pipped and half zipped but the poor little one had passed away before being able to break out.

The remaining two eggs were intact, no pips.  Sadly, they both failed the candle and float test.  Subsequent eggtopsy revealed one had not developed at all and the other looked pretty close to fully developed but had passed away without breaking the shell.

I am feeling a bit mixed emotionally today; very sad about the two who were so very close but happy for Blondie and the little ones who made it.  I am sure that watching her teach the littlies will lift my spirits and she seems very pleased with herself and that is what is important :love

Sorry your others didn't make it , it happens. Sometimes for the best i think as it may have had normailities or just been to weak. I was telling @IamSamSam yesterday afternoon that one of my pipped marans looked like it had hit a blood vessel as there was alot of blood at the pip site but i was going to let mother nature decide and not interfere. It made it out by itself so it was meant to make it. So glad your two little ones are doing well.

Last edited:
Good morning :frow

JHek I am sorry for your loss.  The others have given you good advice and I will leave it at hoping that it all works out for you and you have a very successful hatch.

Blondie update:  This morning when I opened the little door to her nest, she came out with the two littlies in tow.  Where there should have been 3 eggs on the nest there were only two.  One was caught up in her feathers; it had pipped and half zipped but the poor little one had passed away before being able to break out.

The remaining two eggs were intact, no pips.  Sadly, they both failed the candle and float test.  Subsequent eggtopsy revealed one had not developed at all and the other looked pretty close to fully developed but had passed away without breaking the shell.

I am feeling a bit mixed emotionally today; very sad about the two who were so very close but happy for Blondie and the little ones who made it.  I am sure that watching her teach the littlies will lift my spirits and she seems very pleased with herself and that is what is important :love

You have done well doing an eggtopsie. Hubby runs a mile if he sees me opening an egg that didn't hatch. It gives you the best idea of why it didn't hatch.

You have done well doing an eggtopsie. Hubby runs a mile if he sees me opening an egg that didn't hatch. It gives you the best idea of why it didn't hatch.
Knowing my 11 eggs are all developing, I may have to bring myself to do this if some fail to hatch. Not looking forward to it at all if I need to do one.

It was my first eggtopsy and I was really apprehensive that I may actually kill the chick myself, even though I had candled and done the float test; still had these awful visions of opening it up and the chick being alive; totally unfounded of course.

I didn't really learn much of anything but at least I do know that I did not give up on them.

It is also good to know that taking the duds off Blondie has now given her the opportunity to get out of that nest and enjoy her bubs :)

Back
Top Bottom