Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

This morning I went out to the coop - the grey silkie cockerel was crowing, he has just found his voice and will be going to auction,as I only wanted to keep two roosters - Wellington, the gentleman barred rock cockerel, and Ivan the Terrible, an orangey-black partridge silkie cockerel.

Partridge silkies ARE self-sexing, right? Right? Candycorn, the partridge pullet, is a soft grey-orange colour, and very little. Looks very different from Ivan.

Because while the grey one was crowing, Ivan was running frantically up and down the fenceline, yelling like a fiend. I realised it was because he could see a toy plastic egg on the other side. Completely berserk, cackling the entire time. Not going 'bok bok bok' but the full on chicken cackle.

I brought the white 'egg' inside, and Ivan tried to fight for the right to sit on it, kicking up a massive fuss. I say 'tried' because no one else was fighting him. He was just convinced they were.

All the while, the grey cockerel was trying to mount him. Ivan didn't care about that indignity, as long as he could sit on that egg.

Candycorn just freaked out, running around like a crazy thing the entire time, because everyone else was crowing, yelling, or being bonkers.

So I have some new additions! :-D of course they were the centre of attention the second i let my flock out. This is the age my chook lady told me theyd need to be to handle being introduced (i wanted them last month, she said wait til this age) now im seeing them together i dunno if im just being an overprotective mummy or not but they still look too little, im afraid they might get beat up pretty bad.

My original thoughts were that since most of my flock are roos, they prob wouldnt pick on the new hens so bad. Really my hens arent all that much bigger but the new ones just look so tiny so id appreciate ur opinions.

Obviously this is the first time ive added chooks to an existing flock.. i will be keeping them seperated but accessible for a couple days at least. Thanks guys!

So I have some new additions! :-D of course they were the centre of attention the second i let my flock out. This is the age my chook lady told me theyd need to be to handle being introduced (i wanted them last month, she said wait til this age) now im seeing them together i dunno if im just being an overprotective mummy or not but they still look too little, im afraid they might get beat up pretty bad.

My original thoughts were that since most of my flock are roos, they prob wouldnt pick on the new hens so bad. Really my hens arent all that much bigger but the new ones just look so tiny so id appreciate ur opinions.

Obviously this is the first time ive added chooks to an existing flock.. i will be keeping them seperated but accessible for a couple days at least. Thanks guys!

Congrats on your new hens. I would keep them separate for 2 weeks to a month to make sure they are disease free.

From a nice pic to a not so nice pic......One of my roosters did not make it to the coop last night. This is what I woke up to see out my kitchen window. By the way, he is fine now:D We got hit with about 6" of snow last night. Snow and freezing rain. Poor guy had shook his head several times already to get the snow off. Guess my birds are tough!
That is one tough rooster.

Thanks satay. Think I might! Pity to keep them so cooped up but wont be for long I guess and theyll have plenty of room to stretch their legs at night.

Yeah that roosters insane! Whered u get snow in summer in aus?!?!

Love that new little fluff ball :)

My my Sam. Didn't you have some eye candy today hehehe
hide.gif

I haven't been on in a while. On Monday my dad was involved in a bad truck accident and had to be airlifted to the RBWH. He had to be cut of of the cab of the truck by the firies.
He VERY lucky though; only sustained a broken arm, which had to be operated on, some broken ribs and cuts and bruises.
He was discharged out of hospital yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom