Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Hi guys. My brooder had a hard winter and the already suspicuous floor rotted out. I am replacing it but am divided between using a solid floor like it was before, or I have some old fly mesh door screens that fit perfectly too... the mesh is very fine so no little legs will go through. It will hold in bedding but let water through for easy clean up. It adds ventilation too.

Thoughts? Opinions?

*EDIT* A third option has just been presentes....sit it straight down on the concrete with a thick layer of shavings. When we are finished a batch, just sweep the shavings straight out to the compost pile...

Last edited:
Honestly I don't think we have met before! I joined BYC in 2012 but I've been off for nigh on 12 months.

Cool, I did not remember us meeting either … nice to meet you!
frow.gif

Hey Sidhe13

Just my initial thoughts as I picture fly mesh doors in my head
wink.png
…. will the ventilation it adds be excessive? Does it need to and/or can it keep anything out; dogs/cats etc? Being screen would the weight factor; feeder + water + bedding + chicks cause it to give or is it that stronger close-to-metal type screen. If it is a lighter type of screen, maybe it could use some spaced battens to support it.

PS. You can tell I am not busy at work today ... natter, natter, natter, lurk, lurk, lurk
lau.gif

Last edited:
Hi guys. My brooder had a hard winter and the already suspicuous floor rotted out. I am replacing it but am divided between using a solid floor like it was before, or I have some old fly mesh door screens that fit perfectly too... the mesh is very fine so no little legs will go through. It will hold in bedding but let water through for easy clean up. It adds ventilation too.

Thoughts? Opinions?

*EDIT* A third option has just been presentes....sit it straight down on the concrete with a thick layer of shavings. When we are finished a batch, just sweep the shavings straight out to the compost pile...

Option 3 appeals to me. I have one of those cheap little bir coops and the bottom rotted out. Now I lay a chaff bag down put lots of hay on top and ' bobs your uncle ' . :)

All very reasonable questions! My hubby just raised the point that the screens have been sitting in a dirty shed for god knows how long and he considers them unsafe for ANYTHING. The more I sit here staring at it, the more I like the idea of just plonking it where it is....

Just had a call from the vet, I'd decided to euthanise Hermione as she was just getting worse, they found nothing more than a couple worms, not enough to cause problems though. No sign of what it was, the vets only thought was that she had run into something causing spinal damage, blood tests would obviously pick up any disease but I can't afford it. No one else shows any sign of illness lameness or otherwise, just a huge mystery.

Just had a call from the vet, I'd decided to euthanise Hermione as she was just getting worse, they found nothing more than a couple worms, not enough to cause problems though. No sign of what it was, the vets only thought was that she had run into something causing spinal damage, blood tests would obviously pick up any disease but I can't afford it. No one else shows any sign of illness lameness or otherwise, just a huge mystery.

Sorry for your loss. :(

Back
Top Bottom