Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

I remember those ! I Love the smell !

Apps I have an rcom suro so humidity is automated. But Sidhe has the temp correct 37.5 c or 100 f is what your aiming for. And those Janoel ? Bator a are hard with humidity having said that. You only need 45-50 % ( Thanks Satay for recently confirming !) till lock down then bump it to 65-75 % though I'll add * Do Not add Cold Water* it will drag your lovely temperature down use warm water ( use a cooled of boiled water this way it's clean)

I have the same as Sam. I use 45% humidity day 1 to 18 and 65% for hatch. Mine mostly dry incubated for the first 18 days as our outside humidity is usually more than 45%

Hatch finished. Results are 100% hatch from the marans 5/6 pekins, 1 late quitter and only 2 out of 6 quails. Happy with that. Pekins are going to be interesting. I have a black female, a buff female and a black and buff male. Chicks are 2 buff, 2 black and one that looks white, Can't wait to see what they feather in like. Time to clean the bator and retrieve eggs from the neighbour that I got on Friday. Oh and fingers crossed for me. I have yet to hatch a female pekin, even though I usually only do small hatches of them they have all so far been male.

Last edited:
Hi guys. My brooder had a hard winter and the already suspicuous floor rotted out. I am replacing it but am divided between using a solid floor like it was before, or I have some old fly mesh door screens that fit perfectly too... the mesh is very fine so no little legs will go through. It will hold in bedding but let water through for easy clean up. It adds ventilation too.

Thoughts? Opinions?

*EDIT* A third option has just been presentes....sit it straight down on the concrete with a thick layer of shavings. When we are finished a batch, just sweep the shavings straight out to the compost pile...

Id go with option 3.

Well my Geese are being really mean towards the Plymouth Rock hen so I had to move her I made a little brooder pen for her and she is fine now she is sitting on 19 eggs is that to many eggs will keep updated

As long as she can cover them all she is in with a good chance.

I may have to consider getting some scales and attempting to weigh LuLu; I confess to never having weighed one of my chickens.  Pick one up “hhhm, she feels a bit light” (post broody) or “hhhhm, chunky little girl” ;)

Research indicates LuLu should weigh approximately .6kg (that does not sound like very much?)  … will be interesting to see how much she does weigh.

Tee hee satay … your defense sounds solid, I’d stick with that ;)

Handsome fella!

:oops: That I will :lau

Last edited:

Just had a call from the vet, I'd decided to euthanise Hermione as she was just getting worse, they found nothing more than a couple worms, not enough to cause problems though. No sign of what it was, the vets only thought was that she had run into something causing spinal damage, blood tests would obviously pick up any disease but I can't afford it. No one else shows any sign of illness lameness or otherwise, just a huge mystery.

Thanks for the incubator tips guys. This thing seems to be way off base and it's no wonder it's owner gave up on it. It's reading 75% humidity according to my hygrometer and only 55% according to it's own meter. As I know it didn't work for him at all I'm going to just go on my hygrometers readings.
Basically it looks like it's going to need to run almost dry to get down into the 50's. That makes sense though as we probably have pretty high humidity here at the moment as my yard is still a swamp after our big rains.

Thanks for the tip on adding warm water!

Hey devinandfeather that is a nice little brooder set up!

Aaaw Deej211 they are so tiny and cute!

Thank you all for your thoughts on plump chickens … for the first time in months LuLu was having a peck at the oyster shell before bed last night; might be a good sign.

I have to share a story about little, not quite 6 month old KiKi … she does not like to be disturbed when she is laying her egg.

She was hunkered down in the nest box yesterday when LuLu wandered up to see what she was doing; KiKi went ballistic .. open beak, high volume screeching. LuLu just looked at her and wandered off. Anyways, a while later, LuLu wanders past again and KiKi repeats the dummy spit … KiKi is not broody and if this is the way she carries on when she is laying, we may ALL need to move out if she does go broody!
hide.gif

Oh yeah, and she crows ... if she thinks she needs something and is not getting it, she turns on the crowing with full neck extension ... might just have to keep the evil black trespassers around to drown out the very noisy Silkie X Frizzle we have in residence
wink.png
Blame the Crows for that also
lau.gif

Hey devinandfeather that is a nice little brooder set up!

Aaaw Deej211 they are so tiny and cute!

Thank you all for your thoughts on plump chickens … for the first time in months LuLu was having a peck at the oyster shell before bed last night; might be a good sign.

I have to share a story about little, not quite 6 month old KiKi … she does not like to be disturbed when she is laying her egg.

She was hunkered down in the nest box yesterday when LuLu wandered up to see what she was doing; KiKi went ballistic .. open beak, high volume screeching.  LuLu just looked at her and wandered off.  Anyways, a while later, LuLu wanders past again and KiKi repeats the dummy spit … KiKi is not broody and if this is the way she carries on when she is laying, we may ALL need to move out if she does go broody! :oops:

Oh yeah, and she crows ... if she thinks she needs something and is not getting it, she turns on the crowing with full neck extension ... might just have to keep the evil black trespassers around to drown out the very noisy Silkie X Frizzle we have in residence ;)   Blame the Crows for that also :lau  

Hehe, love it. I have a little splash hen that started crowing recently too.

Back
Top Bottom