Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Hi Locknest4. I have 1 pekin (Harri(ette) & Ruby who is a 3/4 leghorn/new hampshire. Harri is the black one it my pic. I apologize for deception. Had a shot at posting a pic & that was the only one i had on this computer. My other pekin turned out to be a rooster & i had to give him away. I wish we could have roosters in suburbia. I loved the sound of his little crow. I will update my avatar so you can meet Ruby :)

Goshawk is back, I was heading down the driveway when I saw something white sitting in the middle of the horse paddock. Thought , mmm better investigate . It was my poor little ' Tink ' , obviously the hawk had fumbled and dropped her there. She has a ripped toe and was bleeding and was a little traumatized by her unscheduled flight, but I think she will be ok. Silkies are notoriously difficult to sex but that hawk seems to always be able to pick the pullet amongst a sea of cockerels. :rolleyes:

Aaaw Fancy poor little Tink .. while sad that she is injured, I am so pleased she will be OK.

I know nothing about Hawks .. would he not go back for her after he dropped her or is he more likely to just count that as a loss on move on?

Goshawk is back, I was heading down the driveway when I saw something white sitting in the middle of the horse paddock. Thought , mmm better investigate . It was my poor little ' Tink ' , obviously the hawk had fumbled and dropped her there. She has a ripped toe and was bleeding and was a little traumatized by her unscheduled flight, but I think she will be ok. Silkies are notoriously difficult to sex but that hawk seems to always be able to pick the pullet amongst a sea of cockerels. :rolleyes:

Oh so sorry to hear that. I hope little tink makes a full recovery.
It must be the day for injured animals. Poor Zeus has done something to his leg and can't put weight on it I am thinking something muscular as he is in pain when you touch his muscle.. I have no idea what he could have done as he is with me all the time. He's booked into the vets for the morning. The joys of country living 3 vets clinics in 3 towns and no appointments til tomorrow.

Last edited:
Aaaw Fancy poor little Tink .. while sad that she is injured, I am so pleased she will be OK.

I know nothing about Hawks .. would he not go back for her after he dropped her or is he more likely to just count that as a loss on move on?

I heard a commotion minutes before, but I suspect it was me driving down behind him that put him
' off his game ' that and the fact that he was carrying her off by one leg. Rotten sod !

Omg I must have miscounted because I have chicks!!! I was sick last night so have only just gone down to check on things , 2 fluffy and one zipping that I can see under Fleur (she has 2 more eggs that I can't see without disturbing her) And 2 with pips under Padma the araucana. The ones under Padma were in the incubator but I gave up on it, wasn't holding temp, either too hot or too cold, and air cells were small despite running with absolutely no water after day 6 when it hit 80% :/. Any who Padma went broody so I decided she can have the incubator eggs as I expected them to hatch a bit late if at all. I think I'll still give whatever hatches today to Fleur, I'll see what happens.
Now fluffy butts!!

My set up for the time being. Fleur down the bottom and Padma up top, will have to move someone once they are up with the chicks.
will pop up more photos as they hatch

Hi all... can anyone recommend a place to look for fertile eggs in the Perth region, apart from gumtree? My broody girl is well and truly on the brood so am looking for something this weekend, but it seems a bit of a struggle to find places that are actually selling (I'm looking for fairly specific but not uncommon varieties, and just one mixed dozen).

Teena @ gone clucky should have eggs available now. She is in that region somewhere. Will chase down more details for you

Back
Top Bottom