Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Thanks everyone. The first 4 chicks are all the same age ot of the same hatch from the same person. The light one is about two weeks older hatched under my broody. Ill try and get a photo but roger has a wierd comb. Like two combs instead of one. If all but pingu end up as roos ill have to get new chicks. Darn :D

Baby's close to Christmas how exciting. I was meant to have a whole batch of marans hatch this weekend,. Went to put them in lock down last night and disaster they bator was off. :he We had a bunch of teenage boys staying on the weekend for sons birthday and it must of got bumped with them going in and out and being busy i had not checked .. All eggs were dead. :hit

So sorry to hear that.

So...reading about how I should prepare my incubator before setting the eggs for hatching, several tutes seem to suggest that I should dip my eggs in hydrogen peroxide to sanitize them. My instinct is that this is not a great idea. :| Am I misinterpreting this? I'm hesitant to do it. :/

Until I'm more sure, I'm going out to clean the incubator with soap and water, then hydrogen peroxide (excepting the electric-y bits, of course, which I'll wipe down with methylated spirits.) and will then leave it in the sun as most guides suggested.

So...reading about how I should prepare my incubator before setting the eggs for hatching, several tutes seem to suggest that I should dip my eggs in hydrogen peroxide to sanitize them. My instinct is that this is not a great idea. :| Am I misinterpreting this? I'm hesitant to do it. :/

Until I'm more sure, I'm going out to clean the incubator with soap and water, then hydrogen peroxide (excepting the electric-y bits, of course, which I'll wipe down with methylated spirits.) and will then leave it in the sun as most guides suggested.
It is far better to do nothing at all to the eggs or you will reduce the viability.
Meth Spirits or Isoproply alchol ( medical rubbing alchol) is great for cleaning the incubator, and so is mouthwash.
If you really want to clean your eggs mouthwash is the safest thing to use, but like i said, straight as they come out of the nests is best.

Baby's close to Christmas how exciting. I was meant to have a whole batch of marans hatch this weekend,. Went to put them in lock down last night and disaster they bator was off.
he.gif
We had a bunch of teenage boys staying on the weekend for sons birthday and it must of got bumped with them going in and out and being busy i had not checked .. All eggs were dead.
hit.gif
That really sux, so sorry for your loss - were your marans hard to find ? I've not seen many for sale and they are all really expensive.

Awwwwwww noo! @satay that sucks! So sorry to hear that! :-(

Well as usual i took way too many pics so i have attempted cutting lol but i think ill just chuck up some random ones

My spunkiest rooster by far!

2 of my 3 beautiful RIWs. Hoping theyre all girls thatd be fantastic! They all are almost exactly the same with comb size, feathering, body type etc. But ones face looks more roostery, hoping thats just me being paranoid that they cant all be girls lol. But compared to the comb sizes of everyone else they hardly exist at all.

My 2 similar brown ones appears to be girls like this, the one that always had different colouring - 'Teila' is a boy :-(

Cant really see by pic but in my opinion this is the best bred roo, hoping he can be put to use rather than stewed..

Would be nice if they all lined up one by one and posed properly for me! But of course that would just be too convenient :-/

Lol, feel free to challenge any of the sexing assumptions ive made, i feel as though i have majority of them sussed just a couple im unsure of. But often in pics u guys share i seem to be wrong lol.

I do have a few girls in particular that are absolutely gorgeous and im such a proud mum :) have posted a warning on my facebook page this morning to my friends as they are getting adventurous now and were heading along and across the driveway earlier. Dont want them run over by unsuspecting drivers! I have always wanted a 'chicken crossing' sign but could never find one :-( anybody know of any?

Awwwwwww noo! @satay that sucks! So sorry to hear that! :-(

Well as usual i took way too many pics so i have attempted cutting lol but i think ill just chuck up some random ones

My spunkiest rooster by far!

2 of my 3 beautiful RIWs. Hoping theyre all girls thatd be fantastic! They all are almost exactly the same with comb size, feathering, body type etc. But ones face looks more roostery, hoping thats just me being paranoid that they cant all be girls lol. But compared to the comb sizes of everyone else they hardly exist at all.

My 2 similar brown ones appears to be girls like this, the one that always had different colouring - 'Teila' is a boy :-(

Cant really see by pic but in my opinion this is the best bred roo, hoping he can be put to use rather than stewed..

Would be nice if they all lined up one by one and posed properly for me! But of course that would just be too convenient :-/

Lol, feel free to challenge any of the sexing assumptions ive made, i feel as though i have majority of them sussed just a couple im unsure of. But often in pics u guys share i seem to be wrong lol.

I do have a few girls in particular that are absolutely gorgeous and im such a proud mum :) have posted a warning on my facebook page this morning to my friends as they are getting adventurous now and were heading along and across the driveway earlier. Dont want them run over by unsuspecting drivers! I have always wanted a 'chicken crossing' sign but could never find one :-( anybody know of any?

Find out who does custom banners and signs in your area and ask how much for them to make you one.

That really sux, so sorry for your loss - were your marans hard to find ? I've not seen many for sale and they are all really expensive.
I got my breeding ones as eggs from a few different people. Did alot of research first before buying. I have made quite a few contacts now so have people to discuss breeding with.

Back
Top Bottom