Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

I have mandarin growing here, they even have fruit this year. Just like the lemon tree they need to be against a wall.
smile.png

More chicks hatching today .
smile.png
I made these feeders up yesterday, cost me $30 for the x2
I found that if I place a feed bowl under it there is no waste.

I like your design, I have one of the dine-a-chook feeders which I got to try it, but I feel it's a bit over engineered and I'm not that fussed with it. the smaller pvc tube inside goes down to low, and the bottom is a bit deep. I have to bring it in each night or the possum will stick his head in for a feed, as I use mine as for when the girls are free ranging, so I like that yours is lockable.

I like your design, I have one of the dine-a-chook feeders which I got to try it, but I feel it's a bit over engineered and I'm not that fussed with it. the smaller pvc tube inside goes down to low, and the bottom is a bit deep. I have to bring it in each night or the possum will stick his head in for a feed, as I use mine as for when the girls are free ranging, so I like that yours is lockable.

It's pretty simple, 2 x caps, 2 x inverters , a piece of pipe cut in half and the junction connectors were the most expensive part. My dina-chook has a reducer to stop food spilling out but as you say ' a little over engineered ' . In the afternoon I just scoop a bit into the bowl below and then pop the cap back on for the night. The possums haven't managed to work them yet.

Had a silkie chick pip and then roll into the used shell of one that had already hatched, by the time I found it the poor little thing was exhausted. Last night it was still pipping so I chipped away enough shell to reveal the beak and I could see that the internal membrane was shrink wrapping. At midnight there was a little too much blood for my liking so I left it alone. This morning it had hatched and seems to be doing fine. Poor little thing is a real fighter , I will have to think of a very courageous name for him, I say he because all of the ones I help turn out to be cockerels.
1f60a.png

I didn't realise that heritage/pure breed could be harmed by too much protein. I knew they didn't need as much as the commercial hybrids.

I've upgraded this year to 17% mixes.
If I remember correctly, you feed barastock. Maybe the protein is too high in it.

Unfortunately it's a common belief that upping the protein will increase egg yield. Once a bird is mature protein levels should be kept stable . Over weight birds aren't productive birds . Treats and table scraps should be kept to a minimum as they usually contain levels of protein and calcium that most people fail to recognise or calculate when they are justifying the birds dietary consumption. Meal worms are very high in protein.
Commercial hybrids and table birds are fed high protein diets for maximum growth. The producers aren't interested in the possible organ damage to the birds as they aren't expected to be ' long lived ' . Where as backyard breeders with heritage breeds may expect their birds to live 8-10 years.

I have mandarin growing here, they even have fruit this year. Just like the lemon tree they need to be against a wall. :)

More chicks hatching today . :) I made these feeders up yesterday, cost me $30 for the x2
I found that if I place a feed bowl under it there is no waste.

I thought i had seen the tassie guy on gardening Australia growing citrus and if i rememember right he even grew bananas in Tassie.

Can you not grow citrus down there anni?

We have a lemon tree that is sooo laden at the moment, I think I will set up a stall out the front and sell them - undercutting the supermarket by 50% !!!

Some people have good success in growing a particular type of orange ... delicious and sweet ... me ? no luck there.

Just thought mandarines ( or mandarins ) were strictly a warm climate fruit, for some reason, but notice that Fancy grows them in chillier Tassie.

I used to have a fairly green thumb but .......
hit.gif
seems to have disappeared.

Cheers .......

Rightio! Let's see if this stops the bloody crows from pinching my eggs.

Good heavens. That is the very BEST looking scare-crow ever to be seen.

Am making one myself - old fashioned hat, filled up empty dog food bag painted with eyes etc., straw hands, an old coat all on a T stick thingy made of tomato stakes.

That is to scare away any predator / raptors etc. ... Well that's the idea anyway.

You might have a different problem ... predatory guys on the roam, coming in to visit your beautiful maiden in the garden, ask if she need help.
lau.gif

Which reminds me of a story my mother used to tell, from her childhood - early 1900's. Greengrocers, butchers etc. delivered goods to the back door and were paid then by the maid. My Nana had a mannequin ( from heaven only knows where ) which the girls including my Mum, dressed up and stood just off a pathway to the back door. [ one of their favourite play pastimes - that mannequin ]

Chinese greengrocer - very very perturbed, arrived at the back door to deliver his goods, and pointed frantically back over his shoulder. Nana herself went out to see what the kerfuffle was all about .... Chinese gentleman, poked his fingers on the mannequins chest repeatedly ( naughty chappie ) ... and said in a big panic "she no talkie - she no talkie - she sick ?? " ... Nana was not impressed, the girls were in stitches for hours. .... and nobody ever told their father, my Papa.

Cheers ..........

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom