Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

They are blue Orpington. Beautiful big and gentle birds.

And australorps are a cross of something and a orpington aren't they.
Sorry no D'uccles.
chunkyonchia if you go back a few pages I put some photos of some. There are a variety of crosses bantam and large I still need to rehome at least 30 soon. I am thinking on putting some on gumtree too.
I am in Gosnells if any one in Perth is interested.
I spoke to a breeder today and he felt chicken that were 3 years old would be a bit of a risk of being to old to lay very often. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Sorry no D'uccles. 
chunkyonchia if you go back a few pages I put some photos of some.  There are a variety of crosses bantam and large I still need to rehome at least 30 soon. I am thinking on putting some on gumtree too.
I spoke to a breeder today and he felt chicken that were 3 years old would be a bit of a risk of being to old to lay very often. Does anyone have any thoughts?

The australorp were a derivative of the orpingtons, not sure if other lines were crossed in, but the astralorp is about 75% of the size of a good blue orpington.
Although 3 years is a mature chicken and they do lay a little less then a 1 year old, most people would not really notice as its only about 1 egg less a fortnight. It is far faster decline in hyline layers and other high laying breeds than if you have mixed Breed, display breeds or heavy breeds.
It all depends if you are happy with 1-2 eggs a week from a 5 year old or need to get an egg most days as in the 1-2 years.

Sorry no D'uccles. 
chunkyonchia if you go back a few pages I put some photos of some.  There are a variety of crosses bantam and large I still need to rehome at least 30 soon. I am thinking on putting some on gumtree too.

Hi
I'm a bit weird in that I don't want the meat or eggs (vegan) so I just like the company. I find them great companions :) What I mean is oldies are fine!
I would gumtree them for sure. I can only take 1-2 because I live in a rental.

The australorp were a derivative of the orpingtons, not sure if other lines were crossed in, but the astralorp is about 75% of the size of a good blue orpington.
Although 3 years is a mature chicken and they do lay a little less then a 1 year old, most people would not really notice as its only about 1 egg less a fortnight. It is far faster decline in hyline layers and other high laying breeds than if you have mixed Breed, display breeds or heavy breeds.
It all depends if you are happy with 1-2 eggs a week from a 5 year old or need to get an egg most days as in the 1-2 years.

As a hobby breeder he is saying the golden phoenix at about 3yrs old is too old to pay too much for, I was told $100 but I am not in it to fleece someone just recoup some money, and I have no idea what blue and splash Andalusians are worth. I just want to be fair. I have said maybe later I could get eggs at a good price as he has different breeds from me. But it would be a while down the track because I have plenty now.

Good morning folks
frow.gif

Anniebee the emoticons were playing up for me also yesterday but it looks like they are going to play nice today
wink.png

Fancy your new kids are absolutely beautiful!!

Hi there chunkyonchia nice to meet you.

LuckysMum congrats on the rehoming; sounds like you are chipping away nicely. Gumtree should probably move a few more over the weekend.

SilkieChickStar As you know, Dusty is a Bantam Langshan and has never been broody. What she does do though is return to the nest after laying for what we call her post egg ponder.

She lays her egg, leaves the nest box, wanders around and does chicken stuff. After about 30mins or so she will go back to the nest box and even if the egg has been taken away, settle in for an hour or so. She has done that with every egg she has laid. If the nest boxes are ‘off limits’ due to broodies, even though she has laid, if she can not get in for her post egg ponder she will jump up and down, have a hissy fit, run around and around the coop until you let her in. Once she has pondered, she comes back out, normal Dusty .. very strange chicken!

I will try and cut a long story short, but remember how I had a health scare, ended up in hospital and had a CT Angiogram done? Well that was 3 weeks ago and it has taken me up until yesterday to find out the results which should have been sent to my GP weeks ago in the form of a discharge summary. This is where I cut it short in that it has taken numerous phone calls, broken promises to return my calls, lots of stress and many hours to finally determine yesterday that the hospital have ‘misplaced’ my chart! Someone forgot to check it in or out somewhere and/or it has been put in the wrong place. For that reason, the first really helpful person I have spoken to who understood that I just wanted to know the results, not only promised to find my chart, she got one of the doctors to check the results on line and call me. So, I do have some narrowing of one of my arteries and further tests, clinic appointment etc are required. I was hoping that the results would be clear so that I could step away from what has been a balls up from Day 1 but now it looks like the fun is only just beginning
roll.png
Funnily enough, his first recommendation yesterday was "avoid stress" lol
wink.png

As a hobby breeder he is saying the golden phoenix at about 3yrs old is too old to pay too much for, I was told $100 but I am not in it to fleece someone just recoup some money, and I have no idea what blue and splash Andalusians are worth. I just want to be fair. I have said maybe later I could get eggs at a good price as he has different breeds from me. But it would be a while down the track because I have plenty now.

The main reason Phoenix chickens are so rare is that they are ornamental birds and so lousy layers, so I would say he is trying to bluff you. Since they are only expected to lay an egg on a weekly basis , they can be quite expensive. There was a pair for sale here in tassie for $350.

Thanks Teila I am finding it hard now to let some go the worse thing is my husband is now saying don't hurry.
barnie.gif
Make sure your happy with who takes them.
Sorry to hear about your run around.

It seems to be the way of the world now.
I have been waiting all week for our mortgage to be refinanced and every day they tell me there is a problem with the new computer software. We had no access to money for 6 days I was getting very angry. No one seems to want to help or take responsibility for anything any more.
he.gif
Its still not resolved but at least we have our pays now. Hopefully Monday. At least after many phone calls and telling them to tear the papers up they advanced us some money to tide us over.

Fancy Thanks for that I will advertise them and see what happens. I have quite a few pure breeds and I would like someone here to take advantage of a different blood line as the girls come from all over Australia.

Good morning folks
frow.gif

Anniebee the emoticons were playing up for me also yesterday but it looks like they are going to play nice today
wink.png

Fancy your new kids are absolutely beautiful!!

Hi there chunkyonchia nice to meet you.

LuckysMum congrats on the rehoming; sounds like you are chipping away nicely. Gumtree should probably move a few more over the weekend.

SilkieChickStar As you know, Dusty is a Bantam Langshan and has never been broody. What she does do though is return to the nest after laying for what we call her post egg ponder.

She lays her egg, leaves the nest box, wanders around and does chicken stuff. After about 30mins or so she will go back to the nest box and even if the egg has been taken away, settle in for an hour or so. She has done that with every egg she has laid. If the nest boxes are ‘off limits’ due to broodies, even though she has laid, if she can not get in for her post egg ponder she will jump up and down, have a hissy fit, run around and around the coop until you let her in. Once she has pondered, she comes back out, normal Dusty .. very strange chicken!

I will try and cut a long story short, but remember how I had a health scare, ended up in hospital and had a CT Angiogram done? Well that was 3 weeks ago and it has taken me up until yesterday to find out the results which should have been sent to my GP weeks ago in the form of a discharge summary. This is where I cut it short in that it has taken numerous phone calls, broken promises to return my calls, lots of stress and many hours to finally determine yesterday that the hospital have ‘misplaced’ my chart! Someone forgot to check it in or out somewhere and/or it has been put in the wrong place. For that reason, the first really helpful person I have spoken to who understood that I just wanted to know the results, not only promised to find my chart, she got one of the doctors to check the results on line and call me. So, I do have some narrowing of one of my arteries and further tests, clinic appointment etc are required. I was hoping that the results would be clear so that I could step away from what has been a balls up from Day 1 but now it looks like the fun is only just beginning
roll.png
Funnily enough, his first recommendation yesterday was "avoid stress" lol
wink.png

Again Teila .... such a funny visual story about Dusty and her post egg pondering.

Then I got to the next paragraph - which is not at all funny. .... 'Help' these days seems to mean something entirely different to yesteryear, in that it is so difficult to find. ... and I am so sorry to hear that there have to be more tests because of one of your arteries narrowing. No doubt you are on medication ?

Avoid stress ? How do most do that these days - but I have found that Yoga breathing helps so much - so perhaps you could spend some time doing some special breathing techniques for yourself. You don't have to lie down or sit to do them. Continue working, but concentrate on the actual physical activity of using your diaphragm to do more of the work for your lungs - ( deep breathing - slow in - slower out ) .... it calms me, and also has an effect on asthma ... the coughing / wheezing / gasping stops - most often for hours, occasionally only for a little while ( so I do it again ).

Stopping breathing altogether for 10 -12 seconds ( whether on inhale or exhale ), also helps with all that too ... IF you already know how to use your diaphragm for proper normal breathing - you are more than half way there .... otherwise, you will have to be taught how to do it. ... I honestly don't know any other way to breathe !!

Cheers .... and take care -

Last edited:
Oh...... I have just found a couple of chooks with scaly leg mite. So tomorrow I will have to get some vegetable oil and try and treat everyone. I didn't know what it was and I notice 1 out of the 60 is bad there are 2 or 3 I can just notice some lumpiness. But am I right in thinking I should put oil on all their feet. I am so glad I kept them away from my girls and far away from my babies.

Back
Top Bottom