Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Hi Fizzybelle. I've had the same thing happen with a peacock. There was blood involved as well! The skin flap was lifted right up. All healed well, in about a week. Cheers.

Thank you Coram, that's good to know. I did file the bump down a bit and then dabbed sani-chick (a poultry disinfectant, basically iodine) on her beak, and a small boo boo she had on her cheek. She's been fine.

Also, if anyone needs to file a chicken beak, I recommend Scholl's electronic nail file. It's battery powered, doesn't cause heat from friction, and makes the job a little easier. The tapered changeable heads help with odd angles too. I'm sure you could do their nails too if you wanted to, lol.

Hi all! I'm new and recently directed here by the excellent Teila (thanks Teila!) but please forgive me if I'm not very vocal! I love reading all your posts and seeing what's up with all your chooks but being a long-time lurker it's hard to shake the habit of just reading and never replying :p

Quick run-down of my situation; currently the mum of 5 8-week old Easter Eggers (they fit our standard for Araucana but the rest of the world probably just calls them EEs) and 4 week-old babies :love from the same source. It's been weird with these guys because my first batch came out all varying shades of grey colours(3 lavenders, 1 splash and 1 pale blue) but now with my 4 babies, one's black, 1 is splash, 1 is blue and 1 is the palest chipmunk I have seen that still has black on her (she's the one with the funky eye if you've seen my other posts). Luck of the draw I guess.

Here's some pics to make this long-ish post worthwhile!
8-week-olds that are ~6 weeks old in this pic;

Babies!
This was their first day :D
Love the little splash guy's bump. Hoping it's a girl!... Hoping they're all girls
Them fighting over something that must be super super special...

Has anyone had any experience with a wool hen?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1133855/a-wool-hen-creating-one-today

I made one yesterday and turned off the heat lamp. I was very nervous last night but everyone seems happy and healthy this morning in spite of overnight lows of 7°C. Some of these chicks are only a couple of days old.

I've decided that heat lamps are a definite hazard. I didn't have mine high enough and my 2 week old Araucana chicks have slight burns on the tops of their heads. I feel dreadful but it won't happen again. With the wool hen I don't need a lamp anymore!

I assisted a chick to hatch last night as it had pipped and started to zip but had made no progress for 24 hours. I think I'd let the humidity in the incubator get a bit low as the shell membrane was quite tough and leathery and stuck to the chick. I put it in my other incubator with her (all my chicks are "her" until they prove otherwise!) latest hatch mates. She didn't look too good but she's still alive this morning and looking much better. I'll move her outside, under the wool hen in a couple of days.

So that makes 8 chicks out of 2 dozen eggs (so far). My wife bought these as free range eggs for cooking at a cost of $4/dozen. $1/chick is not too shabby!
that's pretty good value.

No news on the chicken front to report from me. Not much laying so nothing to hatch right now. Have been sick for a few months now and finally got some test results yesterday ross river fever, glandular fever and a bacterial infection.. Yes only me 3 things at once lol.

No news on the chicken front to report from me. Not much laying so nothing to hatch right now. Have been sick for a few months now and finally got some test results yesterday ross river fever, glandular fever and a bacterial infection.. Yes only me 3 things at once lol.

Oh no!

I was going to recommend Dr Jean McFarlane in Brisbane but then I realised that it's over 20 years since I was her patient and I wondered if she was still practicing. A quick google search shows that she passed away a few years ago.

I hope you get the treatment you need and are soon back to full strength, chasing chooks!

Oh no!

I was going to recommend Dr Jean McFarlane in Brisbane but then I realised that it's over 20 years since I was her patient and I wondered if she was still practicing. A quick google search shows that she passed away a few years ago.

I hope you get the treatment you need and are soon back to full strength, chasing chooks!
thanks

Howdy folks
frow.gif

Wow .. 5 and a half days have just flown by!

How is Mable doing Fizzy?

Annie I loved the description of Benjie [I like that name] and Ruby’s play time! It is good that they are getting along and having fun.

Hey nicky chicky great to see you found us
wink.png
and lovely to have you here.

Yikes satay I hope you feel better very soon!

I do not have a lot of news … still packing and cleaning and working full time and missing hubby terribly. He has been gone for 8 weeks now and we have 42 days to go until we are reunited [it sounds much better in days
wink.png
and we are over the half way mark].

Some progress pics from the Forrest Beach Coop .......

The nest box area is coming along nicely:

The slide out, slatted timber floor is ready for staining:

Oh yeah, and I sold the coop here. Admittedly I put a bargain price on it for quick sale and keeping in mind that they will have to dismantle it to move it but I also needed it gone soon after the girls fly out; they fly out on the Friday, the coop is being collected on the Monday!
clap.gif

Last edited:
Howdy folks :frow Wow .. 5 and a half days have just flown by! How is Mable doing Fizzy? Annie I loved the description of Benjie [I like that name] and Ruby’s play time! It is good that they are getting along and having fun. Hey nicky chicky great to see you found us ;) and lovely to have you here. Yikes satay I hope you feel better very soon! I do not have a lot of news … still packing and cleaning and working full time and missing hubby terribly. He has been gone for 8 weeks now and we have 42 days to go until we are reunited [it sounds much better in days ;) and we are over the half way mark]. Some progress pics from the Forrest Beach Coop ....... The nest box area is coming along nicely: The slide out, slatted timber floor is ready for staining: Oh yeah, and I sold the coop here. Admittedly I put a bargain price on it for quick sale and keeping in mind that they will have to dismantle it to move it but I also needed it gone soon after the girls fly out; they fly out on the Friday, the coop is being collected on the Monday! :clap
the new coop is looking great bet it will be weird for you once the girls fly out and you are chickenless for a bit. Glad it won't be too long now til your reunited with hubby and the girls.

the new coop is looking great bet it will be weird for you once the girls fly out and you are chickenless for a bit. Glad it won't be too long now til your reunited with hubby and the girls.

Thanks satay, yeah it is going to be strange having no pets at all.

Now that it is getting closer and their itinerary arrived today, I am starting to stress .. will they be OK? How will they travel? How upsetting is it all going to be for them? Crates, vans, airport, plane etc.

I am consoling myself that we are making the right decision in that if I was to leave them here, they would have new parents and who knows may be not nice parents and as long as they cope OK with the travel, their Dad will be at the other end to greet them and introduce them to their beautiful new home.

Also, on the more selfish side, I know I am making the right decision for me because having to hand them over to someone else would be heartbreaking and I do not think I could do it.

Anyways, the decision has been made and hopefully all will be OK
fl.gif

Thanks satay, yeah it is going to be strange having no pets at all. 

Now that it is getting closer and their itinerary arrived today, I am starting to stress .. will they be OK?  How will they travel?  How upsetting is it all going to be for them? Crates, vans, airport, plane etc.

I am consoling myself that we are making the right decision in that if I was to leave them here, they would have new parents and who knows may be not nice parents and as long as they cope OK with the travel, their Dad will be at the other end to greet them and introduce them to their beautiful new home.

Also, on the more selfish side, I know I am making the right decision for me because having to hand them over to someone else would be heartbreaking and I do not think I could do it.

Anyways, the decision has been made and hopefully all will be OK :fl

Your a great chicken mum and i like you would never be able to leave them behind. I am sure they'll be fine.

Satay I really feel for you hope your on the mend.
smile.png
I have had Ross river fever on its own and that laid me up. I hope you have heaps of help so you can rest up.
lau.gif
I think if your like the rest of us it will be hard to rest no matter how much help you get.

Back
Top Bottom