Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Well my chicks went outside the other day for the first time... What I thought was a aggressive hen was showing no signs of aggression while they were outside they all looked but lost interest very quickly (2min max) . Also they are just over 3 weeks ( 2suspected wellies, 2sussexs and 3 gingerhams) just wondering now its coming into spring would it be safe to put them into the coop ? Their almost fully feathered

As long as it is not too cold Kat. My 3 weeks olds are out on the grass full time now but we are not that cold right now at night,

Hi all, I'm very new to keeping chooks, I have just bought 3 point of lay isa browns. I'm after any hints or tips that you people might have to help me along the way. I'm in Adelaide the chooks are 18 weeks old when would I expect them to start laying? (The kids are dying to collect the eggs). Here is a photo of the chook run. Thanks

welcome to the world of chooks :) there's not too much to it. Just keep Em fed, watered, clean and safe :) Just don't get an incubator lol. It's too addictive. :p

Hi all, I'm very new to keeping chooks, I have just bought 3 point of lay isa browns. I'm after any hints or tips that you people might have to help me along the way. I'm in Adelaide the chooks are 18 weeks old when would I expect them to start laying? (The kids are dying to collect the eggs). Here is a photo of the chook run. Thanks

Welcome. Love the yard. Isa's are great layers. Mine started at 20 weeks

:welcome

they should lay soon. Their combs and wattles will get red. It is usually between 20-24 weeks. Nice chook run. :)

Pinky's right. Incubators are a bad idea. :lau

Great photos, Hi all to the recent additions :) I love the clothes dryer nesting box darwin, that is cool as! I have a few new additions to the family, I was after some Jap quail fertile eggs but came home with 10 5week olds AND I'm happy to announce my golden pheasant girl Velvet now has a boyfriend!

He is still colouring up and in temporary accommodation until tomorrow when he moves into the new aviary I built. I'll get some more photos of him tomorrow :)

Wow what a beautiful spring day!! Well nearly spring but was so warm!

The chooks must have thought so too because somehow we got 8 eggs today from 7 chooks lol.

Welcome Herb!! What a cute set up!

Last edited:
I've decorated my chicken coop this week - I couldn't help it, lol. We use a clothesdryer as a nest box:

Martha posing:

One of the hens kept climbing in just to sit there and look at the portrait!!
WOW, that is a great idea and good job!
Great photos, Hi all to the recent additions
smile.png
I love the clothes dryer nesting box darwin, that is cool as! I have a few new additions to the family, I was after some Jap quail fertile eggs but came home with 10 5week olds AND I'm happy to announce my golden pheasant girl Velvet now has a boyfriend!

He is still colouring up and in temporary accommodation until tomorrow when he moves into the new aviary I built. I'll get some more photos of him tomorrow
smile.png
WOW, he is beautiful.
Glad Velvet got a handsome BF.

Well, it is not good here on the quail front.

I decided to take a dive and cracked open 4 of the quail eggs to see what was going on. The first 3 had nothing in them ( not fertile ) but didn't smell bad at all and the yolk and white looked fine. They look very edible.
The 4th however had a very small quail in it. But The yolk in this egg had only been half absorbed, so either it had started to develop and failed or they are only starting now ?!?!?!?

Back
Top Bottom