Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Thanks Satay, but I don't have a thermostat. I have got a lamp and it is sitting on 35 nicely. Here is the set up so far. ( bedding yet to go in ). Got my elavated feeder ( made out of a yogurt pot ) and a lid with marbles in it for the water. Do you find water becoming warm a problem or should regular changes be enough? I could freeze a couple of marble to keep the water cool?
What sort of bulb did you end up getting?

Well- I have had 15 hatch, with a few more still pipping.
The reptile heater with thermostat is set as a back-up to
the bathroom heater bulb- if that blows and the temp
drops, the ceramic bulb will come on and keep them warm.

Well- I have had 15 hatch, with a few more still pipping. The reptile heater with thermostat is set as a back-up to the bathroom heater bulb- if that blows and the temp drops, the ceramic bulb will come on and keep them warm.
Sounds like you aren't taking any chances!!

Coop looks fabulous. :drool If ever you want a holiday in Qld, with the tiny task of building a couple of coops. Let me know .:thumbsup

It looks like the coop is in a backyard? If so, that will solve the problem of the worst predator you mention - dogs. That coop looks very secure, so if you are intending to shut them in at night, you should be fine. Cats are normally not a big problem for fully grown chooks, and tiger snakes may eat the eggs :idunno, but, as far as I know, are not an issue for chooks. Airborne predators - hawks and eagles - can be bad for chicks, and eagles can go for hens, but only if you are in the right area, ie rural usually, and near hills/mountains with an open area for them to swoop down. Dogs are my biggest issue, but only if I let them freerange outside fences, or if my fences aren't secure.

Oh, ha ha. I'm not sure you realise but I am only a kid, sure I would love to come to Queensland and build you a coop
1f604.png
but I have no expertise in building coops and no money to fly there. In case you were wondering the coop is an old cubby house that my dad built for me to play in when I was little.

And by the way thanks for the predator info, I think my chooks will be pretty safe.
1f413.png

Well, It seems my boy is working already, I saw him having a go at one of the bantums, Um, What I do wonder is how long does it take for him to um, Do his job? Is it a short doing? Lol. I feel so weird asking these questions

Back
Top Bottom