Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Ok so my 6 girls are 20 weeks old today....
And still no eggs :| I have 1 leghorn, 2 australorps and 3 isa browns!
I have a fake egg in the nesting box and they have been eating layer mash for 2 weeks! Is this normal????
My ISA brown started laying at 23 weeks, australorp at 24 (commercial hatchery australorp).
They will lay soon
smile.png

I think you have done so well just keeping her going. Why not use boiled egg for extra protien plus they LOVE it. After such a close brush with death, I think she can wear her bare bum with pride for awhile & certainly not rush back to laying. Ouch!
For quick cooked eggs, break a couple into a mug, whisk up and microwave for 20-40 seconds. It puffs up into a little souffle, and is much faster than boiling (and doesn't heat up the kitchen!) I usually do this with any left over eggs I've used for cooking, and the girls love them.

I only treat the occasional chook that needs it. I find painting the perches keeps scaly leg at bay.

xxxx    M

Yes you are right Ash, I have been meaning to paint the boxes and perches. I even have the packet of coopex in the cupboard . I do spray tea tree oil on around the perches and boxes , before I put fresh hay in. On another note, I hung those sticky fly tapes made by hovex and they are working really well. Hundreds of flies stuck to them and most of them are juvenile. Lisa -1 flies-0.

I can't really remember I think it was something to do with chilli warming the body which tended to help with the feathers growing back in quicker. I have two large chilli bushes so in throw a few in every now and again.

Interesting. I've heard chilli will help kick start them laying. I haven't tried. They start to lay when they lay.

Back
Top Bottom