Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Can the day go any slower? I am hanging out to candle the eggs on day 10 (when I will also weigh them) and I just cant wait
wee.gif
celebrate.gif

Anyone else weigh their eggs? I was going to mark the air sacs but I find weighing easier, provided I can get the right equation. Can anyone tell me if I have this is correct for me to track the correct weight loss?

I have babies hatching everywhere. So far quite a few quails, a pekin, a Belgian and 1 black marans. So excited about the black marans. Will get some pics when I take them to the brooder after. @IamSamSam I found a bantam down the back yesterday when I was down checking on the sheep. Looks like more bush babies may be on the way.

How exciting satay! Looking forward to the pics!!

Sorry,

I know I am not from Australia, and hope you don't mind me joining you now & then:) .    But I have a question about Marans.  This past spring I bought a dozen fertilized eggs of Olive Eggers & French Marans.  They hatched out 2 olive eggers & 2 French Marans.  (Bad odds, I know.  Most of my "mixed breed" eggs hatched out fine. 

Anyway, I ended up buying a Black Copper French Marans rooster.  He was shy and got beat up a lot.  I ended up isolating him.  He walked very off balance.  Almost like something was wrong with his legs or hips. He also had vent gleet very badly where I had to thoroughly clean his vent twice daily.  There was one day that I did not get  to clean him before I had to leave for work.  When I came home from work that day, he was covered in flies and maggots!  It was horrific!  I made the decision to cull him because they were literally eating him alive.

So, weeks later I purchased a Blue Copper French Maran rooster from a different breeder.  My concern is that he seems to also walk funny.  It is like he is high stepping or something.  Is this normal for the breed?  I REALLY am hoping he is Ok.  He is beautiful but if he is not ok, I will not breed him.

Thanks for any info.   I am super excited to get dark brown & green eggs soon!

Hi and welcome. You are more than welcome to pop into our thread anytime you like.:) I'm not sure how much help i can be. I have 2 fw marans roosters and they seem to be very hardy. I would suggest perhaps you check under his feet incase he has bumble foot. You will see a swelling or hard lump if he does. I will ask @rexy see if she has more ideas as she is far more knoweledge when it comes to marans than I.

Last edited:
Can the day go any slower? I am hanging out to candle the eggs on day 10 (when I will also weigh them) and I just cant wait :weee :celebrate Anyone else weigh their eggs? I was going to mark the air sacs but I find weighing easier, provided I can get the right equation. Can anyone tell me if I have this is correct for me to track the correct weight loss?
Hi i don't weigh mine i am far to lazy. I just candle around day 10 and that's it. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that you have lots of well developing eggs when you candle :)

Last edited:
Sorry,

I know I am not from Australia, and hope you don't mind me joining you now & then:) .    But I have a question about Marans.  This past spring I bought a dozen fertilized eggs of Olive Eggers & French Marans.  They hatched out 2 olive eggers & 2 French Marans.  (Bad odds, I know.  Most of my "mixed breed" eggs hatched out fine. 

Anyway, I ended up buying a Black Copper French Marans rooster.  He was shy and got beat up a lot.  I ended up isolating him.  He walked very off balance.  Almost like something was wrong with his legs or hips. He also had vent gleet very badly where I had to thoroughly clean his vent twice daily.  There was one day that I did not get  to clean him before I had to leave for work.  When I came home from work that day, he was covered in flies and maggots!  It was horrific!  I made the decision to cull him because they were literally eating him alive.

So, weeks later I purchased a Blue Copper French Maran rooster from a different breeder.  My concern is that he seems to also walk funny.  It is like he is high stepping or something.  Is this normal for the breed?  I REALLY am hoping he is Ok.  He is beautiful but if he is not ok, I will not breed him.

Thanks for any info.   I am super excited to get dark brown & green eggs soon!

No, it is not normal for the breed. They are like any other breed. As Satay said, unless there is some underlying health problem with one of his feet or legs, then maybe just do test hatch of a few.

I have babies hatching everywhere. So far quite a few quails, a pekin, a Belgian and 1 black marans. So excited about the black marans. Will get some pics when I take them to the brooder after. @IamSamSam I found a bantam down the back yesterday when I was down checking on the sheep. Looks like more bush babies may be on the way.

Oh YAY I love your bush babies though I have to admitt I'm surprised it's Not the Aussie

She is one determined girl

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom