Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Good morning folks :frow Wow AussieChics your gals sure do sound like they are into making some mischief at the moment; apparently Plan A is keeping you on your toes ;) smhoekzema I am thinking rooster also. We had to run an errand to Capalaba yesterday and as we needed more chicken feed, called into the Produce Store on the way home. They had the cutest little Pekin Frizzles but I have my suspicions one was a rooster and they were running around out the back so not even sure they were up for sale. Anyways, in the car on the way home I mentioned to hubby “It is a good job Cilla is sitting on eggs or we would be integrating a new frizzle or frizzles”. His sigh of relief was quite audible :lau Given the option of quarantine and integration of a new hen(s) versus hatching here; I definitely prefer option 2 but boy oh boy, they sure were cute! Fingers crossed that out of 8 eggs at least one is a frizzle hen .. I won’t push my luck but seen as I have room for two, it would be nice if I get to keep two from this hatch :fl I guess because she was broody for a week before the eggs, this hatch seems to be taking a long time! Part of that is probably also the fact that Cilla is such a good broody and besides a daily check of the eggs for cracks etc, it is a bit of a ‘set and forget’ scenario. She is the only one of my broody’s who will take a drink on the nest. For all her hatches, I offered her a tiny cup of water on the hot days and she takes a drink. I tried this with Blondie and Tina on the hot days and got screeched at for my troubles or they just refused to drink. I wonder sometimes if she is actually thirsty or if it is just a thing we have and she just enjoys being waited on ;)
I love a broody pekin :love

That pic of your Pit Bull and hen was too cute @birdman55

Ahhh the lovely world of broodies! I have two myself, Bubbles and Wilma
he.gif

Congrats on your refusal to take frizzles home @Teila , you have a better resolve than me.

In other news, my little Pencilled Rock cockerel started crowing last week. He sounds so ridiculous.

I'd like to thank everyone for their well wishes for my father. He's at home and resting up while his body heals. Docs say he will be off work for a minimum of 6 weeks.
ep.gif

Last Friday I got a new addition; a lovely young Barred Rock pullet. She came with her hatch brother, but I have since moved him on over the weekend.

Last edited:
morning everyone...collecting eggs for the byc hatch...cant wait

:frow

My son finally caught the chicken! It is a good looking chicken. Pity I don't like its twitching hahaha the other one just seems nicer!

Now that I have close up pics any chance its a girl or boy. Haven't heard any crowing...

The first picture it looks like you ara has longish tail feathers coming in if that is the case then it's a rooster. Aras are quite hard to sex early on. Can you get a picture of it standing might help.

That pic of your Pit Bull and hen was too cute @birdman55

Ahhh the lovely world of broodies!  I have two myself, Bubbles and Wilma :he

Congrats on your refusal to take frizzles home @Teila
, you have a better resolve than me.

In other news, my little Pencilled Rock cockerel started crowing last week.  He sounds so ridiculous. 

I'd like to thank everyone for their well wishes for my father.  He's at home and resting up while his body heals.  Docs say he will be off work for a minimum of 6 weeks. :eek:  

Last Friday I got a new addition; a lovely young Barred Rock pullet.  She came with her hatch brother, but I have since moved him on over the weekend. 

So glad your dad is doing better K.:celebrate

Hey all. Never posted here before. The short story is when I married my wife she wanted me to take her to your place on our 25th. So, in 2005 we went there for a month. Outback, Cairns, Melbourne, Sydney, and ended on Fiji. Anyway, we just love you place and plan to return. I've wanted to get on the west side, but now I'm thinking Adelaide and what we really loved - the Outback and Cairns! We have a small farm in Michigan, USA and farm goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits, and more. In any case I think I'll be watching your goings on if that's ok with ya'll.

Hey all.  Never posted here before.  The short story is when I married my wife she wanted me to take her to your place on our 25th.  So, in 2005 we went there for a month.  Outback, Cairns, Melbourne, Sydney, and ended on Fiji.  Anyway, we just love you place and plan to return.  I've wanted to get on the west side, but now I'm thinking Adelaide and what we really loved - the Outback and Cairns!  We have a small farm in Michigan, USA and farm goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits, and more. In any case I think I'll be watching your goings on if that's ok with ya'll.  

:welcome to the aussie thread :)

Last edited:
:frow
The first picture it looks like you ara has longish tail feathers coming in if that is the case then it's a rooster. Aras are quite hard to sex early on. Can you get a picture of it standing might help.

I'm thinking rooster now that you've said that. The other one has a nice pointy tale with no long bits. But I'd have thought it would be crowing by now....

it won't let me get a good pic either. Also the person I bought the eggs off said these were Anconas. Now I'm very confused!

Anyway sold the 2 little red ones. Hopefully daredevil doesn't cause too much strife for them! 2 more to sell and I'll be happy with numbers.

was cleaning out the coop but its decided to rain! I know I've been wishing for rain but now is not the time lol

Back
Top Bottom