Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Hi - I am new to this site and I would like to have your opinion on my Transylvanian Naked Neck pullet or cockerel ?
I have others which are very obvious but not with this comb .
Thanks .

My Naked Neck is 11 weeks old .
Recently my cat was bitten by a snake and survived (the local vet has now paid off their mortgage and I now own a million dollar cat) .
However luckily I have never seen any evidence of snakes or foxes near my 6 coops .

I would also like to know if anyone has had any experiences with Mottled Houdans .I had 2 cockerels and 1 hen which were totally bananas and after trying to calm them down for months they were uncontrollable so I had to have them culled .

My Naked Neck is 11 weeks old .
Recently my cat was bitten by a snake and survived (the local vet has now paid off their mortgage and I now own a million dollar cat) .
However luckily I have never seen any evidence of snakes or foxes near my 6 coops .
welcome-byc.gif
Lucky cat! And 6 coops
ep.gif
I don't think your pic of the naked neck uploaded for someone that knows the breed to comment. Can't help with advice on Houdan's either, sorry, but it sounds like you have a few interesting breeds. What else do you keep?

I also have Exchequer Leghorns, Black Copper Marans, Light Barred Plymouth Rocks, Silkies, Araucanas, Rhode Island Reds, Minorcas, Silver Grey Dorkings and Transylvanian Naked Necks .

My cat got bit by a baby brown snake in 2013. She was 6 (out of 9) weeks pregnant. I didn't know she was bit but suspected when she disappeared for 4hrs. She came back foaming at the mouth and staggering. When she looked at me she didn't recognise me (i had bottle fed her). I picked her up and settled on the couch with her wrapped in a towel to call the vet. He informed me that the antivenom was $1500 with a 70% chance of a fatal allergic reaction . I cried but decided to nurse her at home. He told me to keep her warm and bring her in the morning for fluids... I heated a hot water bottle and snuggled her up on the couch...when I got up 2 hours later to check her she followed me to the kitchen purring, scoffed down some food and went for a sleep....
2 years on she is bipolar and freaks out and disappears at odd times. She is utterly terrified of anything remotely snake-like like vacuums and hoses. She also safely and suprisingly delivered 8 healthy kittens 3 weeks later. The vet was so sure she would miscarry or they would be deformed.
My mum had a cat who was paralyzed for 3 days then got up like nothing had happened.

I may be engaging in serious study avoidance behaviour.  So, has anyone here tried quail?  :oops:   How do you keep snakes away from the enclosure?

I breed them but have never eaten one. I keep them in bird avaries that are concreted into the ground.

Last edited:
On snakes, the soft white, or green synthetic bird mesh is the go, cheap as chips at outlets like Bunnings, strips of around 600mm sorta rolled to form a SORTA sausage. Depending on the size of the actual fabric its possible to get enough to cover a fair area around the coop. Good idea not to bunch it up too much. The ideal is if you end up with something they can get into easily but as they penetrate deeper they get tangled
not a good idea to handle them at all even with gloves unless a person is confident that they know what they are doing. Snakes are protected so suggest you "tranquillise ' with a heavy long handle spade. Make sure they are truly asleep! and then release them
lau.gif

Last edited:
My cat got bit by a baby brown snake in 2013. She was 6 (out of 9) weeks pregnant. I didn't know she was bit but suspected when she disappeared for 4hrs. She came back foaming at the mouth and staggering. When she looked at me she didn't recognise me (i had bottle fed her). I picked her up and settled on the couch with her wrapped in a towel to call the vet. He informed me that the antivenom was $1500 with a 70% chance of a fatal allergic reaction . I cried but decided to nurse her at home. He told me to keep her warm and bring her in the morning for fluids... I heated a hot water bottle and snuggled her up on the couch...when I got up 2 hours later to check her she followed me to the kitchen purring, scoffed down some food and went for a sleep....
2 years on she is bipolar and freaks out and disappears at odd times. She is utterly terrified of anything remotely snake-like like vacuums and hoses. She also safely and suprisingly delivered 8 healthy kittens 3 weeks later. The vet was so sure she would miscarry or they would be deformed.
My mum had a cat who was paralyzed for 3 days then got up like nothing had happened.
My old ginger got bitten and disappeared for a week, when he came staggering out from under the house.
He made a full recovery apart from a tendency to lurch to the left and lived another 6 years. Cats are tough!

xxxx M

Back
Top Bottom