Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

On the ACV subject, I do use ACV for various reasons and one is: It is reported to act as an antiseptic killing bacteria in their throat and is also reported to keep bacteria out of their water. I know it is recommended to people with sinus issues also.

But, I also believe that the jury is still out on the pros and cons of ACV and probably will be for a long time yet ;)  

How often do you use ACV in their water and what dosage?

Maybe I'll just use that as a preventative and see how I go.

I don't know anything about ph levels. Only thing I'm aware of is my ground is acidic while I think means my chooks can be low in iron as a result but like I said before I don't know anything about levels so not sure what harm or problems it may cause them.
ACV I think is used more for an immune system boost more than anything.

I've heard many claims about ACV over the years but most have been preventative not treatment. In this case the theory is that by lowering the pH in the birds system it will make the environment hostile to the parasite. All sounds good in theory. I dont believe that ACV would have any impact on this Protozoa any more than it would treat coccocidiosis .
We use ACV in mares that are in foal. It is high in potassium and is said to help with blood vessels and circulation, all very important in birthing. We boil barley , turn it off, pour in ACV pop the lid on and let the grain soak it up. The horses and goats love it.

Hey V1cky .. I add ACV with Mother to every water change and have done for the two and half years I have had chickens.

I have a 2.5 litre main water container and a 1.3 litre back up (just in case
wink.png
). Water is refreshed morning and night in summer and just morning in the winter months.

I add 14ml (two teaspoons) to the 2.5 litre and 7ml (one teaspoon) to the 1.3 litre.

Again, this is just what I do and others have differing opinions which I respect and as mentioned, opinions regarding ACV differ greatly.

As Fancy mentioned, most of my research has alluded to it being a preventative and definitely not a treatment.

The conclusions I came to on my research were:

* It apparently maintains a good pH balance in their digestive system and makes it a little uncomfortable for worms to live in. So while not an actual wormer, it can be a deterrent.
* As I mentioned, it is reported that it can act as an antiseptic killing bacteria in their throat and is reported to keep bacteria out of their water.
* Some think it increases egg production but I can't comment on that because I only have bantams who spend more time broody than they do laying
wink.png

I'll start adding ACV to their water I think and hopefully I'll have no more sick chickens in the future. -fingers crossed-

I didn't expect it to be a miracle cure and won't use it for that but I'll definitely give it a try as a preventative.

Luke, I had a quick peek at your website and it looks great as do your eggs. Good luck with your venture - I'm sure you will do well.

All is quietish with my little flock. I've had to reduce their access to the lawn by putting up another fence just for a while. With exams I kept up with everything except depooping the lawn and it needs a rest now to recover. I keep telling myself that they are not looking sadly through the fence - it's all in my mind. It's been two days now and I got five eggs today which is the most I've had for a while which makes me suspect that the crows have been getting some for a while now.
I'm thinking of sprouting seeds to up their greens now that they don't have access to the lawn. Does anyone have any tips for how best to sprout seeds without them going mouldy and what type of seeds are best for chooks?
Thank you very much cwrite
smile.png

When I grew fodder for my chickens I used barley (rawest form, not unshelled). Make sure you don't have to much, or too little water and once it is ready USE IT, don't give it and extra day because that is when the mold will strike.
There is a big thread on growing fodder here https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/713334/growing-fodder-for-chickens

Hi and thanks! I've been here for awhile but I had never jumped on this thread, didn't realize there were so many auzzies!
The main reason for seeds going mouldy is keeping the soil too wet, not enough sun. Seed quality can also be a factor, but you shouldn't have that much trouble...my biggest problem with planting anything is the birds eating it before it can grow! Or wrecking it up when its a seedling.

Oops - I totally missed that you've been here for ages.
hide.gif

Thank you very much cwrite
smile.png

When I grew fodder for my chickens I used barley (rawest form, not unshelled). Make sure you don't have to much, or too little water and once it is ready USE IT, don't give it and extra day because that is when the mold will strike.
There is a big thread on growing fodder here https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/713334/growing-fodder-for-chickens

Thanks guys. I always thought you let the seeds soak IN the water, not much, but clearly enough for mould. The coke bottle idea sound like a nice & easy way to do it.

Oops - I totally missed that you've been here for ages.  :oops:  

Thanks guys.  I always thought you let the seeds soak IN the water, not much, but clearly enough for mould.  The coke bottle idea sound like a nice & easy way to do it. 

I soak barley overnight in a big steamer pot inside a bucket. Then I pull the steamer pot up run the hose across the grain whilst loosening up with my fingers.
Lay in trays with drainage holes and water everyday. I move the barley around when I am watering to stop it stagnating. Never had a mould problem.

Back
Top Bottom