Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Quote: I'd love to say yes but the cows on the dairy we used to work on did that too and no bulls there either but I do like the Tassie thing idea better:lau

Satay and Fancy .... ...

Right - the girls do it too - all by themselves ! ... but they come into season quite frequently, so they might be doing it 'in case' there is a bull around.
ya.gif

OR perhaps it is back to the 'dominance' thing. ..... or both ???

Long time since I've been around cattle - although when in Young Farmers ( Victoria ) ages ago, cattle was my 'specialty' investigation. We were all given different animal breeds to study.
Oh boy - those were fantastic days. ... a dim distant memory now.

Looks like I need more diversity in the grains. This could very well get thrown in the "too hard" basket! As much as I would love to DIY it, it is really hard to get the formula right. Then all the mixing??

@Anniebee I would feed the flaxseed whole. They are little seeds and the oil goes rancid too quick if they are ground.

[COLOR=333333]I'd love to say yes but the cows on the dairy we used to work on did that too and no bulls there either but I do like the Tassie thing idea better:lau[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]______________________________________________[/COLOR]

Satay and Fancy  ....  ...

Right - the girls do it too - all by themselves ! ... but  they come into season quite frequently, so they might be doing it 'in case' there is a bull around. :ya  

OR perhaps it is back to the 'dominance' thing.  ..... or both ???  

Long time since I've been around cattle - although when in Young Farmers ( Victoria ) ages ago, cattle was my 'specialty' investigation.   We were all given different animal breeds to study.
Oh boy - those were fantastic days.   ... a dim distant memory now.  

Yes they call it bulling. We used to have to take note of the number of the cow that was being mounted so that they could A I it.

Last edited:
Hi, my name is christie and I'm a chookaholic. My eggs are due to hatch tomorrow but I couldn't help myself, I got these from my sons daycare today, I was just going to get 2 but then the guy came to pick up his equipment and had a box of left over chicks from the last daycare, I asked how much for a few more and he's like I can give you a couple. So I now have 1 Australorp and 3 lohmann brown chicks :)

I hope they are all girls but of course my 3 year old wanted a white one which he's called Elsa, I'm enabling my friend getting her first chookies so she will take 2 hens once they are bigger.

Hi, my name is christie and I'm a chookaholic. My eggs are due to hatch tomorrow but I couldn't help myself, I got these from my sons daycare today, I was just going to get 2 but then the guy came to pick up his equipment and had a box of left over chicks from the last daycare, I asked how much for a few more and he's like I can give you a couple. So I now have 1 Australorp and 3 lohmann brown chicks
smile.png

I hope they are all girls but of course my 3 year old wanted a white one which he's called Elsa, I'm enabling my friend getting her first chookies so she will take 2 hens once they are bigger.
The reddish chicks should be girls as they are red sex links
smile.png
the white one I would be suspicious of it being a cockerel. Fingers crossed for the australorp
fl.gif

Looks like I need more diversity in the grains. This could very well get thrown in the "too hard" basket! As much as I would love to DIY it, it is really hard to get the formula right. Then all the mixing??

@Anniebee I would feed the flaxseed whole. They are little seeds and the oil goes rancid too quick if they are ground.

Sidhe13 ....

Thanks for the explanation re flaxseed. ... knew they were small, but would never have thought about oil going rancid.
I can only imagine some of the difficulties you'd face in getting the mix right - for everyday / all day feeding of your chickens.
Good luck with it - if you decide to continue.

Every day I am here, I learn something new - from everyone.

Information and help always so generously given.

Just thought I'd take this opportunity to say thanks to all.

Cheers ---

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom