Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Annie my girls (1 year old) get layer pellets (red label I believe it is) constant supply, most days I throw them a handful of free range scratch when I go in there and what ever household scraps we have, they go out in the back yard to farage most days. With free ranging they take what they need, you don't need to worry about what they eat, as they know what they need, but when you are mixing up your own foods for them they will eat that over the pellets and disrupt the ratios. I would keep your special mix to once a week or even less, and make sure you give it in the afternoon after they've already had a day of foraging and pellets, with scratch seeds make sure they have to work for it, throw it on the ground rather than in a feeder. It doesn't sound like they are unhealthy at all but given they are around middle aged it's best to watch their intake a little more closely

One of my layers was laying massive double yolks I had a week of them. Smallest was 99.3 gram and largest was 105.4 gram !

She has gone back to laying normal but I can't for the life of me work out why ! I did change their scratch from red hen brand to a home mix. I watched her close but she is ok

Finally I have 2 slw and 2 blues hatched. Priscilla isn't ready for me to have a good look yet, will get some pics later. I fly over to Vic Thursday , always the way, hopefully they will have all hatched by then. My ' chicken little ' one eyed hen , is moping around cause she failed to hatch any so I will wait awhile and pinch a few for her. Seriously since I took the eggs away she has wondered around like a lost soul. She sitting on the verandah seat waiting for me to come back out. :(

Wowsers @IamSamSam
duc.gif
ep.gif
They are enormous eggs!

@kat79 sorry to hear about losing your girl
hit.gif

Congrats on hatches everyone! It's making me itchy to hatch more but I do have more than enough in my flock at the moment. My stubborn, broody Wilma the splash orpington isn't helping the situation.

Fingers crossed for a successful hatch @Fancychooklady
fl.gif
Hope they're all out before you leave for the mainland.

Loved your pics of the girls @Teila . Reminds me that I should get some more nice pics of mine and share
big_smile.png

Had another successful day showing with Yahtzee picking up more points to go towards his title. He was also awarded 3rd in puppy sweepstakes and best puppy in group.
wee.gif

Updated pics of my cuckko/crele and wheaten araucana chicks. If anyone has any ideas of the colour of the yellow chicks with the very pale lav looking wing feathers are? Hens are black possibly bbr, blue and wheaten and roo is crele.

Last edited:

Updated pics of my cuckko/crele and wheaten araucana chicks. If anyone has any ideas of the colour of the yellow chicks with the very pale lav looking wing feathers are? Hens are black possibly bbr, blue and wheaten and roo is crele.

Love seeing all the babies in spring!

Back
Top Bottom