Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

True have to be very careful have to supervise the roo for the first few weeks. I check at night before I go to bed that he is ok
1f60a.png
it took three weeks before I worked out where to place the collar have to find the right spot. Can't just put the collar and bang works straight away does take some patience and lots of mealworms lol

How do the mealworms help with placing the collar?

Good morning Friends :frow

Anniebee thank you for the tip … next time Cilla goes GodCilla I might have to research something calming .. actually, I might as well start now; probably only got 8 to 11 eggs or 4-6 weeks ;)

Yep, I said “next time” .. that one extra day [yesterday] seems to have done the trick with both of them.  Cilla is not bashing anyone up this morning and even though the nest boxes are open for business, both her and Blondie are sitting on the external perch having a post breakfast preen :clap

So with KiKi, Cilla and Blondie all recently being broken, Dusty and LuLu who have never been broody and Crystal who has not shown any signs of being a broody [yet] .. I might have a peaceful month or so :fl

RodneyRooster you have probably mentioned before and I am sorry if you have, bad memory here .. what are you plans for the roosters?

sjturner79 good luck with the hatch!  I confess to never having heard of “Frilkies” and yep, wonder if and how they differ from Sizzles?

Locknest4 it sure is a nice feeling when the coop is nice and clean and both it and gals appear to be bug free.  Sorry to hear about your wasted wheat :(

MyHaven yep, last night’s storm put a stop to many plans I think; the light show was amazing though.  I am sorry this has not been the best hatch.  Your little one is so cute though and I hope you have better luck introducing her to Cagney.

hi Teila, i plan on selling them cheap and giving them away. I dont mind what people do with them but I could never eat a chook ive raised.

How do the mealworms help with placing the collar?

Id say it keeps him still lol

The easiest way to tell the difference between Ravens, crows and currawong s , is the the eye colour. I have been close up and personal with a raven and the eye colour was white to almost iradescent light blue. Annie I have seen currawong in numbers at the air walk, south of us. There song gives them away.

http://www.angair.org.au/documentstoDL/Difference_Currawongs_Magpies_Ravens.pdf

Thanks Fancy for not only the link to great info about these birds, but for confirming for me that currawongs are indeed in Tasmania ( we were deep in a forest valley - and they were unafraid, and kind of cheeky - waddling around on the ground near us - used to visitors I guess ) .... we have currawongs all over here, and they sing their 'winter' songs before rain, but hide themselves a lot. It's rare to actually see one in flight or roosting in a tree. But we hear from them - plenty.

Odd things happen in summer in Victoria, when currawongs remain south during the summer. They usually all migrate to the high country and return in early Autumn. Last few years we have had hot rainy tropical type weather - and currawongs remained. They can still be heard at this time again ,,,,,,, Wowee - I just HOPE they are correct.
big_smile.png

Cheers ......

MyHaven said ......

Hey, AB haven't chatted for too long. The bird is definitely a crow the white is near the shoulders and
not as much as in your photo. It lives with crows, caws like a crow, steals eggs like a crow.....
I'll take a photo and post it. We do have currawongs here. I haven't seen them around my home
but I have seen many in the CBD. They live in the trees planted on the side of the roads. It always
amazes me how adaptable they are when I hear there call in a concrete jungle.

Absolutely have to agree now .... you have a crow. For some reason, I thought you said ( originally ) that it was the wing tip that was white --- which sent me off on my little info bit ....
Sorry about that. Odd that it has white on its wings - anywhere. But genetics can go haywire with any creature.

My 'crows' seem to have done a bunk thank heaven. Haven't heard them cawing for a couple of days now. It is a very distinctive and sombre sound.

Amazed that the CBD houses currawongs ? Brisbane is a beautiful city with trees and a lovely river. Melbourne CBD is similar, but more jammed up together ... not too many trees right in the city but in the fringes - and the Botanic Gardens close by, there are plenty. Guess our currawongs would frequent there.

Congrats on the darling little chick you have now --- 'she' is a real sweetie.

Cheers .......

Thanks for all the kind thoughts, the chicken has the hairiest little feet. Must have taken after mum (Maran) not dad (lavender Araucana)

Someone asked about roosters and sorry to those who this upsets, but I have just found a guy on the Northside of Brisbane who kills and dresses for $5.

Have a good day/week everyone

That's a good price would not be worth while doing it yourself for that . I wouldn't have a problem eating them either but i mostly use mine as snake food so they don't get to grow out more than about 3 weeks of age.

Good morning Friends
frow.gif

Ah, Crows … my favourite subject matter
wink.png
[Break out the Elmer Fudd costume .. maybe I should make him my profile pic
lau.gif
]

I am definitely thinking my convincing the Crows that roosting in my front tree is probably not a good idea was a great idea on my part because at 09:30pm last night, as I was getting ready for bed, they were cawing up a storm in their new tree house about 5 houses down.

While they obviously caw in the dark … before the sun and pretty much anything else remotely decent rises ..... I am not used to hearing them during the night.

I can only hope that something was upsetting them … mwaaa haaaa haaaa .. suffer!!!
lau.gif

Hey RodneyRooster thanks for that, I was just curious what your plans were for them and that is probably what I would be doing also.

Trying to find homes for the roosters is definitely one of the reasons I am reluctant to have another hatch for a while.

On that subject … it is official .. I am broody free
wee.gif
Yeah, yeah, I know, enjoy it while it lasts
wink.png

Last edited:
Good morning Friends :frow

Ah, Crows … my favourite subject matter ;)  [Break out the Elmer Fudd costume .. maybe I should make him my profile pic :lau ]

I am definitely thinking my convincing the Crows that roosting in my front tree is probably not a good idea was a great idea on my part because at 09:30pm last night, as I was getting ready for bed, they were cawing up a storm in their new tree house about 5 houses down.

While they obviously caw in the dark … before the sun and pretty much anything else remotely decent rises ..... I am not used to the hearing them during the night.

I can only hope that something was upsetting them … mwaaa haaaa haaaa .. suffer!!! :lau

Hey RodneyRooster thanks for that, I was just curious what your plans were for them and that is probably what I would be doing also.

Trying to find homes for the roosters is definitely one of the reasons I am reluctant to have another hatch for a while.

On that subject … it is official .. I am broody free :weee   Yeah, yeah, I know, enjoy it while it lasts ;)  

:weee
Wish i was both of my pekins have gone broody now. My poor rooster is running around confused during the day as they are both sitting and he is not sure what to do with out them. Miss oz is still sitting in the garden. I take her back a few times a day and she beats me back to the garden each time. She has got to have been sitting on nothing for about 8 weeks or so now i think. Still quite a few broodies in the main pen and my blue marans is still trying her best to sit on something in her pen.

Last edited:
Oh goodness satay that is a lot of broodies, which would seriously mess with my head
hide.gif

I can only imagine what grief a rooster would have here when GodCilla and Blondzilla are in form .. poor guy would probably want to sneak off to the tree house with the Crows
lau.gif

That's a good price would not be worth while doing it yourself for that . I wouldn't have a problem eating them either but i mostly use mine as snake food so they don't get to grow out more than about 3 weeks of age.

I'm not that good at sexing them at 3weeks. And I don't mind knowing what my food has been eating either. I've been dressing chickens since I was 5years old with my grandmother. That's when I played autopsy . You don't think anything of it when your exposed that young on the land. I'm not saying how many decades ago that was either. It is worth it to not get the smell on your hands I thought.

Back
Top Bottom